Agenda Item No. 8
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Council: 25th September, 2013
Report of the Managing Director
Scrutiny Committees' Annual Report May 2012 - April 2013
Purpose of the Report
1. To present the 2012/13 Scrutiny Committees' Annual Report to Council in accordance with the Council's Constitution.
That Council receives the Scrutiny Committees' Annual Report for the period May 2012 - April 2013.
Reason for the Recommendation
To receive the Scrutiny Committees' Annual Report as required under the Council's Constitution.
2. The Annual Report has been produced in accordance with Section 6.03(d) of Article 6 of the Vale of Glamorgan Council's Constitution which states that "Scrutiny Committees must report annually to Full Council on their workings and make recommendations for future work programmes and amended working methods if appropriate."
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The draft Annual Report has been considered and approved by all five Scrutiny Committees during September 2013 and it contains details of the work of the Scrutiny Committees over the year together with statistical information and the membership of the Committees.
4. A schedule of the work programmes for the five Scrutiny Committees is also available on the Council's website which include reference to :
· Performance monitoring
· Revenue and Capital expenditure monitoring
· Improvement Plan
· Budget proposals - annual reporting
· Service planning - annual reporting
· Decision tracking of Committee recommendations
· Requests for consideration of matter and call-ins as requested by any Member of the Council for the relevant Scrutiny Committee under the Procedure Rules as defined in the Council's Constitution.
· Receiving progress reports on various issues and on other matters as recommended by the Committees.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
5. There are no direct financial implications arising from the report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
6. Sustainability issues are considered by all Scrutiny Committees as a matter of course although there are no issues as a consequence of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
7. The Council is required to comply with the Local Government Act 2000, the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011 and subordinate legislation in relation to the Scrutiny function.
Crime and Disorder Implications
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. Improving and developing the effectiveness of Scrutiny contributes towards the Community Leadership Corporate Plan Objective to "Develop a protocol for the public to give evidence at Scrutiny and Planning Committees and increase public participation in meetings (2013-2017)".
Policy Framework and Budget
11. Article 6 of the Constitution requires the Scrutiny Committees' Annual Report to be presented to Full Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
12. The reporting of Annual Scrutiny Committees' reports is an internal matter and, therefore, no external consultation is necessary. However, the report will also be published on the Council's website.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Cabinet and Scrutiny Minutes 2012/13
Report to all Scrutiny Committees: September 2013.
Jeff Wyatt, Operational Manager (Democratic Services), Tel: (01446) 709408.
Siân Davies, Managing Director.