Agenda Item No. 10(d)
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
COUNCIL MEETING: 4 MARCH 2015
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 23 FEBRUARY 2015
C2647 CAPITAL MONITORING REPORT FOR THE PERIOD 1 APRIL TO 31 DECEMBER 2014 (L) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – CORPORATE RESOURCES) -
Cabinet was advised of the progress on the 2014/15 Capital Programme for the period 1 April, 2014 to 31 December, 2014.
Council on the 5 March, 2014 minute no 883 approved the Capital Programme for 2014/15 onwards.
Appendix 1 attached to the report detailed the financial progress on the Capital Programme as at 31 December, 2014.
For all schemes where it was evident that the full year's budget would not be spent during the year, the relevant officers were required to provide an explanation for the shortfall that would be taken to the earliest available Cabinet.
Appendix 2 attached to the report provided non-financial information on capital construction schemes with a budget of over £100K. Where a budget shown in Appendix 1 was more than £100K but was made up of several schemes that individually were less than £100K, the scheme was not included in Appendix 2.
Cabinet had previously agreed that further information would be provided where schemes had a value of over £500K and showed a variance of 20% or more between actual spend and the profile. The following schemes met this criteria:
- Ysgol Gwaun Y Nant/Oakfield - Amendments to programming/sequencing of works had resulted in actual expenditure that was less than the initial spend profile. This did not adversely affect the final cost of the project.
- WHQS Works - There was always likely to be a variance in the WHQS expenditure as the extent of the works required in a property was not known until the works commence. More had been spent than was projected on Kitchen Replacements, Bathrooms and Asbestos Management.
This was a matter for Executive and Council decision.
(2) T H A T Cabinet recommend to Council the following alterations to the 2014/15 and 2015/16 Capital Programme.
- Oakfield Playing Fields - Request to carry forward £147k budget to the 2015/16 Capital Programme to support the delivery of the Ysgol Gwaun Y Nant/Oakfield Scheme.
- Hen Goleg Clock Tower – Request that £98k be carried forward into the 2015/16 Capital Programme.
- Cross Common Bridge - Request that £574k be carried forward into the 2015/16 Capital Programme.
- Boverton Flooding - Request that £170k be carried forward into the 2015/16 Capital Programme.
- Tackling Poverty - Requested to carry forward £5k into the 2015/16 Capital Programme.
- Holton Road Shop Fronts - Request to carry forward £82k (of which £77k was s106 monies) into the 2015/16 Capital Programme.
- Barry Island Regeneration - Request that £45k of this budget be carried forward to 2015/16 Capital Programme to meet the costs of retention against the eastern promenade contract. It was also requested that the 2014/15 Capital Programme be increased by £285k to be funded from a revenue contribution from Development Services to meet the additional charges that had been incurred.
- Pedestrian Crossing across Ffordd Y Millennium and Improved Bus Access - Request that the budget of £17k be carried forward into the 2015/16 Capital Programme.
- Pedestrian Crossing across Thompson Street/Holton Road - Request that the budget of £6k be carried forward into the 2015/16 Capital Programme.
- Pedestrian Crossing across Buttrills Road/Holton Road - Request that the budget of £23k be carried forward into the 2015/16 Capital Programme.
Reasons for decisions
(1&2) To amend the 2014/15 and 2015/16 Capital Programme.