Agenda Item No.7
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Cabinet - 27th April 2015
Council Meeting : 29th April 2015
Report of the Leader
Resources Directorate : Amendments to Officer Delegations
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek approval of various amendments to officer delegations within the Resources Directorate, given the post of Director of Resources will not exist from 1st May, 2015 and to make the consequential amendments necessary to the Council Constitution .
1. That Members consider the proposed amendments to officer delegations within the Resources Directorate, as set out in Appendix A to the report.
2. That Members refer the amendments alluded to in recommendation (1) above to Council on 29th April 2015 and, subject to approval by Council, the Council Constitution be amended accordingly.
3. That any other "ad hoc" or individual delegations granted to the Director of Resources in respect of Executive functions rest, instead, with the Managing Director from 1st May 2015.
4. That, subject to the approval of Council on 29th April, 2015, any "ad hoc" or individual delegations granted to the Director of Resources in respect of Council (as opposed to Executive) functions rest, instead, with the Managing Director from 1st May 2015.
5. That recommendations 1 to 4 above are dealt with under Article 13.09 of the Council's Constitution (Urgent Decision Procedure).
Reasons for the Recommendations
1 -4. To ensure continuity of officer delegations / responsibilities as a consequence of the appointment of the new Managing Director and the deletion of the post of Director of Resources.
5. To ensure that management arrangements and the necessary delegations are in place from 1st May 2015.
2. Members will be aware that Council ratified the appointment of the current Director of Development Services as Managing Director at the Special Council Meeting on 25th March 2015. The appointment of the new Managing Director will take effect from 1st May 2015. As part of the senior management restructuring, the post of Director of Resources (currently occupied by the existing Managing Director) will no longer exist.
Relevant issues and options
3. In order to ensure continuity in terms of officer delegations / responsibilities within the Resources Directorate, the amendments as set out in Appendix A to the report are proposed and, on the recommendation of Cabinet, will also be referred, where appropriate, for approval by Council on 29th April 2015. It can also be seen from recommendations (3) and (4) above that it is also proposed that any other "ad hoc", or individual delegations granted to the Director of Resources (in respect of both Executive, and Council, functions) also rest, instead, with the Managing Director from 1 May 2015.
4. The Appendix also seeks approval to amend any reference in the Constitution to "Head of Financial Services" and "Head of Accountancy and Resource Management" to read "Section 151 Officer and Deputy Section 151 Officer."
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
5. There are no financial implications arising from this report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
6. There are no sustainability and climate change implications arising from this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
7. None identified.
Crime and Disorder Implications
8. There are no crime and disorder implications directly arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
9. None identified.
10. The proposals within this report have been designed to ensure the provision of effective officer delegations / responsibilities within the Resources Directorate.
Policy Framework and Budget
11. This is a matter for consideration by Cabinet and Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
12. This is an internal matter and, therefore, apart from discussions involving relevant officers, no consultation has been necessary.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
13. Corporate Resources.
14. Report to Council on 17th December 2014
Jeff Wyatt (Tel: 01446 709408
Head of Legal Services
Head of Democratic Services