Agenda Item No. 7
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Democratic Services Committee: 24th July 2013
Report of the Head of Democratic Services
Democratic and Scrutiny Services Structure
Purpose of the Report
1. To apprise Members of developments within the Democratic and Scrutiny Services team within the Democratic Services Division.
That the report be noted.
Reason for the Recommendation
To keep the Committee informed of resources available for Democratic Services in accordance with the provisions of the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011.
2. Members may be aware that the Democratic and Scrutiny Services team within the Democratic Services Division comprises four officers. Each of those officers, including the Team Leader, undertakes a wide range of duties covering both the Scrutiny and Committee Services functions.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. In the light of a long-standing member of the above team recently retiring, the opportunity was taken to identify, within existing budgetary provision, whether any additional officer support for Democratic Services could be built into the structure. Following discussion with the Managing Director, the budget for the post alluded to above was combined with the funding which had remained in place for a lower graded post elsewhere in the Division. Proposals were drawn up for the creation of two posts, one entitled a Scrutiny Support Officer and the other an Assistant Democratic Services Officer. Both posts have been evaluated at Grade F and are currently being advertised internally. The intention is that one of the additional posts, once the postholder has undergone the necessary development, will provide additional support within Democratic Services and, particularly, for the Council's scrutiny function.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
4. The staffing structure remains within the existing budget.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
5. There are no direct implications arising from the report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
6. The Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011 requires the Democratic Services Committee to be kept informed of support for Democratic Services.
Crime and Disorder Implications
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
9. The Measure makes arrangements for changes to the political structure of local government in Wales and the way in which local government operates.
Policy Framework and Budget
10. The Terms of Reference of the Democratic Services Committee include "to keep under review the provision by the Authority of adequate resources to discharge Democratic Services functions".
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
11. This is an internal matter and, therefore, no consultation has been necessary.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
12. Corporate Resources.
Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011
Jeff Wyatt, Head of Democratic Services, Tel: (01446) 709408
Jeff Wyatt, Head of Democratic Services