Agenda Item No. 5
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Democratic Services Committee: 24th July 2013
Report of the Head of Democratic Services
Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011: Provision re Councillors' Annual Reports
Purpose of the Report
1. To apprise Members of the first publication by the Council of Councillors' Annual Reports.
That the publication of Annual Reports on the Council's website be noted.
Reason for the Recommendation
To facilitate the Council's compliance with the relevant provision of the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011 ("the Measure").
2. The Measure contains a requirement that, with effect from 2012/13, Local Authorities make provision for the production of Annual Reports by its Councillors. Any reports produced by individual Councillors must be published by the Local Authority.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. All Members were provided with an Annual Report template, which had been endorsed by the Democratic Services Committee, together with associated guidance notes.
4. Whilst the Measure requires the Council to make this facility available to Councillors, there is no obligation on individuals to produce an Annual Report.
5. The template issued reflected the draft guidance issued some time ago by the Welsh Government. The final guidance is still awaited. At the time of writing the report, a total of 26 Annual Reports had been submitted to the Head of Democratic Services and would be published on the Council's website.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
6. There are no direct implications arising from the report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
7. There are no direct implications arising from the report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. The Council is required to comply with the provisions of the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011 in terms of facilitating the production of Annual Reports.
Crime and Disorder Implications
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
11. The Measure makes arrangements for changes to the political structure of local government in Wales and the way in which local government operates.
Policy Framework and Budget
12. The Terms of Reference of the Democratic Services Committee include "to have regard to Welsh Ministerial guidance when exercising its function".
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. This is an internal matter and, therefore, no consultation has been necessary.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
14. Corporate Resources.
Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011
Welsh Government Draft Statutory Guidance on Annual Reports: 1st October 2012
Jeff Wyatt, Head of Democratic Services, Tel: (01446) 709408
Jeff Wyatt, Head of Democratic Services