Agenda Item No. 4
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Democratic Services Committee 8th October 2014
Director of Resources
Members ICT – Development and Training
Purpose of the Report
1. To inform Members of the proposals in respect of ICT for Members and the Members' ICT Strategy.
That Members note the content of the report.
Reason for the Recommendation
To ensure Members are made aware of any developments to their ICT Service and of any training and development opportunities for Members use of ICT.
2. Minute No 559 of the Democratic Services Committee confirmed that this committee would widen its terms of reference to include responsibility for overseeing the Council's approach to Member Development, that the former Member ICT Working Group be not reappointed and that a further report be presented to this committee on future proposals in respect of ICT for Members and Member’s ICT Strategy.
3. It was also agreed that a members ICT update would be a standing item for this committee.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. All members should now have had a replacement or upgraded laptop to allow the running of the Windows 7 operating system where this has been requested. Some members have elected not to use the Council provided equipment.
5. All other Windows XP machines across the Council have now been replaced with Windows 7.
6. The Council’s wide area network supplier has gone into administration and a replacement supplier to provide support and maintenance for the network is being sought.
7. The new computer room in the Civic Offices is nearing completion which is due in November. The movement of servers and other hardware to the new location will then begin, but will need to be done out of normal office hours to minimise disruption to the user community. There will however be some short periods of time when members may not be able to access e-mails when that system is moved, but advance warning will be given of any possible disruption.
8. Members should be aware that the StaffNet GIS system has the facility to show any calls or incidents within ward boundaries which could be very useful information to members when dealing with their constituents. A brief demonstration of this facility will take place at the meeting.
9. As far as webcasting is concerned, a meeting of the Planning Committee was used as an initial "dry run". A number of Members attended a feedback session and it has been agreed to replicate that exercise at the two meetings of the Committee in October. The Head of Democratic Services will provide further details at the meeting.
10. As alluded to at the last meeting, the possible introduction of a Case Management System for Members has been raised. The Chairman of the Committee has held initial discussions with the Head of Democratic Services and officers from the ICT and Business Improvement Sections. Those discussions will now be expanded to include a group of Members who have expressed an interest in exploring the possible introduction / potential benefits / interest levels amongst Members generally of such a facility.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
11. There are no Sustainability and Climate Change Implications as a result of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
12. There are no legal implications that arise as a result of this report
Crime and Disorder Implications
13. There are no Crime and Disorder implications for this report
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
14. There are no equal opportunity implications that arise as a result of this report.
15. To exercise robust financial management and explore all opportunities to improve efficiency and service quality including collaborative working.
16. To deliver cost-effective support and service desk function to monitor performance, meet customer needs and communicate effectively.
Policy Framework and Budget
17. This report is for information only.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
18. No member consultation has taken place.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
19. Corporate Resources Scrutiny Committee.
Minutes of the Members ICT Group Meetings
David Vining - Head of Strategic ICT
Jeff Wyatt – Head of Democratic Services