Agenda Item No. 6
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
DEMOCRATIC SERVICES COMMITTEE: 19TH OCTOBER 2016
INDEPENDENT REMUNERATION PANEL FOR WALES (IRPW) DRAFT ANNUAL REPORT 2017/18: SUMMARY OF CHANGES
There are a number of proposed changes, many of which reflect discussions with the Welsh Local Government Association. In summary the IRP proposes the following changes:
- Basic Salaries – a “very modest increase of 0.75% to the basic salary” for Councillors and members of National
Park Authorities and Fire and Rescue Authorities. This is the first increase for three years and “follows the slight
easing of restraint in the pay of public sector employees”. It represents a £100 increase in the Basic salary for
Councillors (to £13,400), a £25 basic salary increase for National Park members and a £15 basic salary increase for
Fire and Rescue Authority members.
- Senior Salaries – no increase is proposed for Senior Salaries but post holders will receive the uplift in the basic
salary paid to all Councillors.
- Sickness Absence for Senior Salary Holders – this is proposed in response to feedback from Members and
Authorities. The approach will operate in a similar way to the current “family absence” provisions.
- Care Allowances – following concerns about low take-up and discussions with WLGA members, the IRPW is
proposing to rename “Care Allowances” as “Reimbursement of costs of care” to seek to separate it from being
perceived as part of an individual Councillors’ salary or allowances. The IRP also proposes changing the way such
payments are published by allowing Councils to either:
o “Publish the details of the amounts reimbursed to named Members; or
o The total amount reimbursed by the Authority during the year but not attributed to any named Member”.
Given the elections next May, the IRPW’s determinations (once finalised) will come into force as follows:
- For principal councils:
o Basic Salary Holders – 5th May 2017, (subject to the Member having signed the Declaration of Acceptance)
o Senior Salary Holders - following the first Annual Meeting of the new Council.
- For National Park Authorities –With effect from 1st April 2017
- For Fire and Rescue Authorities – With effect from the Annual Meeting of the Authority.