Agenda Item No. 5
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
PLANNING COMMITTEE: 10 APRIL 2014
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 24 MARCH 2014
C2264 THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN LOCAL DEVELOPMENT PLAN 2011 – 2026 REVIEW OF DELIVERY AGREEMENT TIMETABLE (JUNE 2013) (RIPT) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – ECONOMY AND ENVIRONMENT) –
Members were advised of the need to revise the Vale of Glamorgan Local Development Plan 2011 - 2026 (LDP) indicative timetable contained within the Delivery Agreement (June 2013) and approval was sought for the changes from the Welsh Government (WG) in accordance with the Town and Country (Local Development Plan) (Wales) Regulations 2005.
Part 6 of the Planning and Compulsory Purchase Act 2004 placed a duty on each local authority in Wales to prepare a Local Development Plan (LDP). The Town and Country Planning (Local Development Plan) (Wales) Regulations 2005 prescribed the form and content of the LDP and made provision for the procedure to be followed in its preparation. The LDP would provide a sustainable land use framework to guide future growth within the Vale of Glamorgan between 2011 and 2026.
The Vale of Glamorgan Deposit LDP was approved for public consultation at Council on 23rd October 2013 and subsequently underwent a formal 6 week public consultation ending at 5pm on Friday 20th December 2013.
Following public consultation the Deposit LDP Representations Register was made available view on the Council's website in early March 2014 and on request at other deposit locations in mid March 2014. A further public consultation was now required on the site allocation representations that had been received that suggested Alternative Sites to those in the Deposit LDP.
The Alternative Sites public consultation was anticipated to take place between Thursday 20th March 2014 and Thursday 1st May 2014, some two months earlier than previously indicated in the June 2013 DA timetable. To assist the public with this process, consultation events would be held in Cowbridge (26th March), St. Athan (1st April), Penarth (2nd April), Llantwit Major (7th April) and Barry (8th April) between 2pm and 6pm. Further details on these events can be found at www.valeofglamorgan.gov.uk/ldp.
Welsh Government guidance under paragraph 4.11 of LDP Wales and paragraph 4.6.2 of the LDP Manual required local authorities to define the indicative timetable contained within the DA within 3 months of the close of the formal 6-week deposit period. Accordingly, a revised DA timetable had been prepared by officers setting out the timescales for the remaining stages. A copy of the revised DA timetable was attached at Appendix 1 to the report.
The revised DA timetable indicated that submission of the LDP and associated documents to the Welsh Government for Examination in April / May 2015 with an Adoption date of September / October 2016 assuming there were no unforeseen delays to the programme. This was earlier than the previous indicative Adoption Date of January 2017.
Subject to approval by Cabinet and Council the revised DA including the amended timetable would be forwarded to the Welsh Government to seek their approval to the amendments and to comply with Regulation 9 of the Town and Country Planning (Local Development Plan) (Wales) Regulations 2005, paragraph 4.11 of LDP Wales and paragraph 4.6.2 of the LDP Manual.
This was a matter for Executive and Council decision.
(1) T H A T the contents of the report and the implications for the Local Development Plan timetable attached at Appendix 1 to the report be noted.
(2) T H A T the revisions to the Local Development Plan indicative timetable contained within the Council's Delivery Agreement (June 2013) as proposed in the report be approved.
(3) T H A T approval be sought from the Welsh Government to formally amend the Local Development Plan timetable contained within the Council's Delivery Agreement (June 2013).
(4) T H A T those individuals and organisations previously consulted on the drafting of the Local Development Plan Delivery Agreement be advised of the revisions detailed within the report.
(5) T H A T the report be referred to Council to seek approval for the revisions to the indicative Local Development Plan timetable contained within the Council's Delivery Agreement (June 2013).
(6) T H A T a copy of the report be referred to Planning Committee for information purposes.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To note the progress made on the Local Development Plan and of the need to define the reaming stages of the Local Development Plan Delivery Agreement timetable.
(2) To approve the revisions to the Council's Delivery Timetable.
(3) To comply with Regulation 9 of the Town and Country Planning (Local Development Plan) (Wales) Regulations 2005.
(4) To advise stakeholders and organisations previously consulted on the Delivery Agreement of the proposed revisions to the Local Development Plan timetable.
(5) To gain full Council agreement on the proposed revisions to the indicative Local Development Plan timetable contained within the Council's Delivery Agreement (June 2013).
(6) In order to apprise Planning Committee of the matters contained within the report.
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet – 24 MARCH 2014