Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Corporate Resources): 24 July 2012
Report of the Director of Legal, Public Protection and Housing Services
Scrutiny Decision Tracking of Recommendations
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise Members of progress in relation to uncompleted recommendations made by the Scrutiny Committee for
· Financial Year 2009/10 (Appendix A)
· Financial Year 2011/12 (Appendix B)
· 1st Quarter April - June 2012 (Appendix C).
2. To also obtain Members' views relating to progress against each recommendation, where further action may be required to ensure the required action is undertaken and to confirm those actions which are completed.
The views of the Committee on the status of the actions listed in Appendices A to C are sought.
Reasons for the Recommendations
To maintain effective tracking of the Committee's recommendations
3. An integral part of effective scrutiny is a mechanism for Scrutiny Committees to monitor their recommendations to ensure that desired actions are carried out and, where necessary, progress is reported back.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. Appendices A to C are the uncompleted recommendations of the Scrutiny Committee. Members are requested to review the progress against each recommendation, to assess where further action may be required to ensure the required action is undertaken and to confirm which recommendations are accepted as completed.
5. It is important that decisions of Scrutiny Committees are tracked and monitored in this way as failure to do so could result in a risk that recommended courses of action will not be followed and consequently “lost”. This would undermine the credibility of the scrutiny process.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
Crime and Disorder Implications
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
Policy Framework and Budget
12. This report is in accordance with the recommendations of the WAO Democratic Renewal Report and acknowledges the recommendations of the recent review of the Council's scrutiny function.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Relevant Scrutiny Committee and Cabinet minutes.
Lorraine Pugh, Scrutiny and Committee Services Officer, Tel: 01446 709412
Peter H. Evans, Director of Legal, Public Protection and Housing Services.