Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Corporate Resources) - 11th December 2012
Report of the Managing Director
Corporate Workforce Plan 2013-17
Purpose of the Report
1. To seek the views of the Scrutiny Committee on the Council's draft Workforce Plan prior to submission to Cabinet on the 17th December 2012 for final approval.
1. That Members support the adoption of the Workforce Plan as set out at "Appendix A".
2. That the comments of this Committee be referred to Cabinet for consideration.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To help the Council meet its workforce needs over the next four years in accordance with the vision and objectives set out in the draft Corporate Plan.
2. As above.
2. The Workforce Plan (the Plan) has been drafted in accordance with Objective 8 of the Council's Improvement Objectives for 2012/2013 i.e. to develop effective and sustainable workforce planning arrangements for the Council.
3. The Plan aims to ensure that the Council have the right employees, in the right place to meet future service needs. The need for such a plan is particularly important given the challenging financial targets that will need to be faced over the next four years and the related need for changes to the way services are delivered.
4. The Plan reflects the vision and service aims as set out in the draft Council Plan as considered by Cabinet on 19 November 2012 and the budget review projections as considered at the same meeting.
Relevant Issues and Options
5. As indicated above, workforce planning is a process for seeking to identify and address gaps between the workforce of today and the human resource needs of the future. The structure of the Plan aims to facilitate this by following the sequential steps as set out below:-
· Looking at the vision for Council over the next four years (section 3).
· Looking at the contextual issues and hurdles in achieving the vision (section 4).
· Analysing our current workforce (section 5).
· Considering the needs of our future workforce (section 6).
· Undertaking a "gap analysis" between the "current" and "future" workforce (section 6).
· Action planning on the basis of the above (section 6 and Appendix C).
6. The thirty actions as set out in Appendix C are the result of the above process and also reflect the common themes highlighted in each of the individual service workforce plans as set out in Appendix D. These individual plans were compiled following facilitated workforce planning workshops in each of the Directorates.
7. Members will appreciate the need for the workforce planning process to be a dynamic and ongoing exercise in order to respond to internal and external change.
8. In accordance with this, the Plan will be reviewed and updated on an annual basis as part of the service planning process and using the "workforce planning cycle" as set out at in Figure 2 on page 34 of the document.
9. The outcomes of the Plan will help to inform and refresh the Council's Human Resources and Training and Development Strategies.
10. It is suggested that the Council's Joint Management/Union Change Forum be asked to monitor the progress of the corporate action plan as part of their regular monthly business activity. This group is chaired by the Managing Director.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
11. The resource implications are set out in Appendix C of the Plan.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
12. There are no implications directly arising from the content of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
13. None identified.
Crime and Disorder Implications
14. There are no crime and disorder implications as a direct result of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
15. The Plan reflects actions set out in the Strategic Equalities Plan and the equalities requirements of the Specific Duties for Public Authorities in Wales. The Plan will be reviewed as part of an ongoing equality impact assessment process.
16. The Plan seeks to support the delivery of service objectives set out in the redrafted Corporate Plan and individual service plans.
Policy Framework and Budget
17. This report is a matter for the Executive decision by Cabinet.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
18. The Trade Unions have been consulted on, and contributed to the development of the Plan.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
19. Corporate Resources.
Reuben Bergman, Head of Human Resources
Corporate Management Team
All Heads of Service
Operational Manager - Human Resources
Operational Manager - Finance and Systems
Sian Davies, Managing Director