Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Corporate Resources): 4th June, 2013
Report of the Managing Director
Welsh Language Scheme Annual Monitoring Report 2012-13
Purpose of the Report
1. To apprise Members of the details of the annual report and update to the Welsh Language Commissioner on the achievement of actions within the Welsh Language Scheme. This is the second report on the current scheme. Welsh Language Standards will eventually replace the scheme.
To consider the report and refer to Cabinet prior to the submission of the same to the Welsh Language Commissioner by 30th June.
Reasons for the Recommendation
In order to provide the required information to the Welsh Language Commissioner.
2. The Welsh Language Act 1993 and the Welsh Language Measure 2011 require local authorities to produce an Annual Report.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. One previous annual report has been submitted on the current Welsh Language Scheme and is available for information on the Council’s website. The report for 2013 (attached at Appendix1) includes key areas where the Council has improved.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
4. Within existing resources.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
6. There is a statutory requirement for the Authority to publish and implement a Welsh Language Scheme under the Welsh Language Act 1993. The Welsh Language Scheme will be replaced in time with Welsh Language Standards under the Welsh Language (Wales) Measure 2011.
Crime and Disorder Implications
7. No implications.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
8. The annual report relates to implementation of the Welsh Language Scheme and action plan which is a key equalities strategy.
9. Community Leadership - to provide strategic direction and secure continuous improvement throughout the Council.
Policy Framework and Budget
10. This is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
11. Guidance has been provided by the Welsh Language Commissioner. Consultation took place as part of the Welsh Language Scheme development. CMT has been consulted.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
12. Corporate Resources.
Welsh Language Scheme 2011-2014
Welsh Language Schemes – their preparation and approval in accordance with the Welsh Language Act 1993, Welsh Language Board
The Welsh Language (Wales) Measure 2011.
Linda Brown, Corporate Equalities Officer, email@example.com
01446 709 362
Operational Manager - Corporate Policy and Communications
Head of Performance and Development
Corporate Management Team
Sian Davies, Managing Directo