Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Corporate Resources): 10th September, 2013
Report of the Managing Director
End of Year Performance 2012/13 and Performance Indicators 2013/14
Purpose of the Report
1. To present end of year performance and action monitoring reports for the year ended 2012/13 to Scrutiny Committees.
2. To notify Members of the changes to performance indicators and performance reporting arrangements for 2013/14.
That Scrutiny Committee:
1. consider the performance and action monitoring reports for end of year 2012/13, and make any proposals for improving performance.
2. agree to changes to the performance indicators and performance reporting arrangements for 2013/14.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To ensure that the Council is effectively monitoring and improving its performance in line with the requirement to secure continuous improvement and comparison, outlined in the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009.
2. To ensure that arrangements for the collecting and reporting of performance information reflects Scrutiny Committee priorities and is in keeping with the new service planning and reporting arrangements.
3. Service plans for 2013/14 have been revised and are now designed to focus on the achievement of objectives within each directorate in order to contribute towards outcomes for members of the public.
4. A review of performance indicators has taken place to ensure that the Council collects indicators which effectively monitor service plan objectives and outcomes.
5. Reporting arrangements have been revised to ensure that Directorates are monitoring performance against the objectives defined in service plans.
Relevant Issues and Options
6. Attached to this report are the action monitoring and performance reports monitored by the Committee for the service areas, Corporate Services, Customer Relations, Democratic Services and Human Resources. Measures highlighted in blue on the performance reports have been proposed for deletion for 2013/14. [Corporate and Customer Services] [Resources]
7. An additional document is also listed for each service which lists all the performance indicators proposed for collection as part of 2013/14 service plan monitoring. All measures have been renamed for ease of reference in relation to the new service plans. Newly proposed performance indicators have been highlighted in yellow. Performance indicators with the abbreviations: (NSI), (PAM) or (NSI/PAM) beside the reference are statutory indicators and cannot be amended or deleted.
8. In the process of reviewing performance indicators for 2013/14, it has been noted that the corporate indicators collected within all service areas are cross cutting and do not directly contribute to any one objective within service plans. It is therefore proposed that sickness (long term, short term and overall), leavers and PDR figures for all service areas be reported to Corporate Resources Scrutiny Committee in one report on a quarterly basis from 2013/14 onwards (PDR figures will be reported annually). Area of concern will then be referred to the appropriate Scrutiny Committees for further analysis.
9. In relation to the levels of Green Dragon achieved within the Council, this is monitored by the Sustainable Development Working Group which reports separately to Scrutiny and Cabinet. Levels are achieved by a combination of building based or directorate based environmental management systems, rather than by service areas individually. In light of this, it is proposed that the Green Dragon indicators be deleted for all service areas from 2013/14 onwards and that the Council's performance in relation to Green Dragon continue to be monitored by the Sustainable Development Working Group and reported to Scrutiny and Cabinet.
10. Each service area was given the target of achieving level 4 of the Vale Equality Scheme, with the exception of areas where this level did not apply due to the nature of the service (Accountancy and Resource Management, Legal Services and ICT Services). Most service areas had met this target by the end of the financial year 2012/13. The following services areas have thus far not met the level 4 target: Human Resources (L3), Children and Young People's Services (L2), Business Management and Innovation (L3), School Improvement (L3), Building and Vehicle Services (L3), Visible Services (L2), Democratic Services (L1). It is therefore proposed that the Equalities Team work intensively with these services to bring them up to a level 4 standard, and that the Vale Equalities Scheme indicators be removed from all service areas from 2013/14 onwards.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
11. None as a direct consequence of this report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
12. The level of Green Dragon will now be reported via the Sustainable Development Working Group. Sustainability is a cross-cutting theme running throughout all service plans and several measures which help us to demonstrate sustainable development are included in the relevant plans.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
13. None as a direct consequence of this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
14. None as a direct consequence of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
15. Equality is a cross-cutting theme running throughout all service plans. Actions from the Strategic Equality Plan have been included within service plans, where relevant Services which have not achieved their target for the VES (level 4) will be worked with intensively and provided with training and support to enable them to achieve equality standards.
16. The Corporate Plan 2013-2017 outlines community leadership as a priority for the council. Improving how the Council evidences and reports achievement of its outcomes and objectives contributes towards effective community leadership.
Policy Framework and Budget
17. This is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
19. All Scrutiny Committees
CMT Performance Indicator Review report, 10 April 2013
CMT Corporate Indicators report, 5 June 2013
Chloe Clarke, Corporate Performance Coordinator
Corporate Management Team
Improvement and Development Team
Head of Performance and Development
Operational Manager, Corporate Policy and Communications
Strategy and Sustainability Manager
Head of Human Resources
Operational Manager, Human Resources
Sian Davies, Managing Director