Agenda Item No.
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (CORPORATE RESOURCES): 10 SEPTEMBER 2013
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 1 JULY 2013
C1383 SICKNESS ABSENCE REPORT – FINANCIAL YEAR APRIL 2012 – MARCH 2013 (L) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – CORPORATE RESOURCES) -
Members were updated with the sickness absence information for the financial year April 2012 - March 2013.
The Corporate Management of Attendance policy had been operational since October 2008 and had until the last financial year contributed to a sustained reduction in the level of absence across the Council.
The report set out the absence figures for the financial year 2012/2013 for employees corporately employed staff and also those employed directly by schools. The sickness absence figures for the period April 2012 to March 2013 included both corporate and schools figures and were as follows:-
Average days / shifts lost per FTE (Total)
8.7 (days per employee)
Percentage of lost time by FTE (Total)
3.3 (% of available work days)
A more detailed analysis of the figures by Directorate and Service areas was attached at Appendix 'A' to the report.
This was a matter for Executive decision.
(1) T H A T the report and the sickness absence outturn provided in Appendix 'A' attached to the report be accepted.
(2) T H A T the importance of the Management of Attendance Policy, achievement of targets and adherence to the Council's policy provisions be reinforced to all managers to respond to the previous years rise in the level of sickness absence.
(3) T H A T the report be referred to Scrutiny Committee (Corporate Resources) for consideration.
(4) T H A T the Head of Human Resources carry out a review of the Management of Attendance Policy as soon as practicable and report back to a future cabinet meeting.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To keep in line with corporate objectives.
(2) To maintain challenging and realistic targets to improve the Council's current attendance rates within the workforce.
(3) To seek the support of the Scrutiny Committee to maintain a continued focus on the management of absence throughout all services of the Council.
(4) To ensure a review of the Management of Attendance Policy
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet – 1 JULY 2013