Agenda Item No.
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (CORPORATE RESOURCES): 15 OCTOBER 2014
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 8 SEPTEMBER 2014
C2456 TRANSPORT SAVINGS PROGRAMME UPDATE (EVS) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – CORPORATE RESOURCES)
Cabinet was advised of the work being undertaken to review the Council’s current transport arrangements and approval was sought to determine the actions and resource profile required for the introduction of a comprehensive transport savings programme.
A requirement to review significant areas of current spend, including arrangements related to vehicle transport was highlighted via the Council’s 2012 / 2013 medium term financial plan. In December 2013, a diagnostic review of current transport arrangements was commissioned by Corporate Management team in order to identify both process improvements and significant cashable savings in respect to the transport operations of the Council.
The diagnostic review project was sponsored by the Director of Visible Services and Housing and project managed by the Senior Business Improvement Partner. As a result of a competitive tendering process to obtain the services of an experienced transport change partner, Edge Public Solutions were selected to perform the diagnostic review, supported by a member of the Council’s Business Improvement team.
The review required a detailed analysis of existing transport related service arrangements in order to identify;
strengths, weaknesses and opportunities relating to current service delivery processes,
consideration of internal opportunities for improvement,
an appraisal of change options,
clear recommendations for future operating models and;
a detailed project plan to support the implementation of a transformational change programme that would enable significant cost savings to be achieved; targeted at a budget reduction of approximately £1m addition to the £690k savings already identified by departments for the 2014/15 budget.
The diagnostic review was conducted between February and April 2014, led by experienced Transport Consultants from Edge Public Solutions and supported via internal staff from the Council's Business Improvement team. Interviews and work studies were held with over 60 staff and suppliers during the course of the review.
The 'Vale of Glamorgan Transport Review' was attached at Appendix 1 to the report and provided a detailed assessment of the current transport arrangements and scope for improvement across the service areas,
This was a matter for Executive decision
(1) T H A T the recommended actions required by the Transport Savings programme detailed within the Transport Savings report attached at Appendix 1 to the report be agreed in principle.
(2) T H A T the outline resource profile required to undertake the actions required by the Transport Savings programme be agreed in principle.
(3) T H A T the report be referred to the Scrutiny Committee (Corporate Resources) for consideration and the Scrutiny Committee (Economy and Environment) for information.
(4) T H A T a further report be presented to Cabinet following the above Scrutiny process.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To approve in principle the Transport Savings programme.
(2) To approve in principle the Transport Savings programme resource profile.
(3) To enable the Transport Savings programme and required actions to be subject to the appropriate scrutiny.
(4) To consider the views of the Scrutiny Committee (Corporate Resources) prior to taking a decision on the final Transport Savings programme
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet – 8 SEPTEMBER 2014