Agenda Item No 8
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Corporate Resources): 23rd June 2015
Report of the Managing Director
Capital Monitoring Report for the Period 1st April to 30th April 2015
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise Scrutiny Committee of the progress on the 2015/16 Capital Programme for the period 1st April 2015 to 30th April 2015.
It is recommended that :-
1. Committee note the position with regard to the 2015/16 Capital Programme.
2. Committee note the virement of £100k from the 2015/16 Castleland Renewal Area scheme to the Penarth Renewal Area scheme and refer this change to Cabinet for approval.
3. Committee is asked to note the additional funding of £195k for the Llandough Sustainable Transport Schemes, funded from s106 monies and to refer this increase to Cabinet for approval and inclusion into the 2015/16 Capital Programme.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To allow Members to be aware of progress on the Capital Programme.
2-3 To update the 2015/16 Capital Programme.
2. Council on the 4th March 2015 minute no 940 approved the Capital Programme for 2015/16 onwards.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. Appendix 1 details financial progress on the Capital Programme as at 30th April 2015.
4. The monitoring report shows actual expenditure for the month of April 2015 and is matched by a similar figure in the profile to date column, thereby showing no variances. Profiled expenditure has been requested from Project Managers and will be updated in the next report.
5. Members should be aware that Appendix 1 does not include requests for unspent committed expenditure to be slipped from 2014/15 into 2015/16. A request for this slippage will be included in the Closing Down report presented to a future Cabinet meeting.
6. For all schemes where it is evident that the full year's budget will not be spent during the year, the relevant officers are required to provide an explanation for the shortfall and this shall be taken to the earliest available Cabinet.
Learning and Development
7. Education Asset Renewal - A report was approved by Cabinet on 27th April 2015, minute no C2758, which outlined the allocation of the Schools Asset Renewal budget for 2015/16.
Visible Services & Housing
8. Housing Revenue Account Subsidy Buyout - Emergency Powers have been used to approve the inclusion of £63.156m in the Capital Programme for the Housing Revenue Account Subsidy Buyout. A report to Cabinet on 15th December 2014 outlined the proposed changes to the Housing Revenue Account Subsidy system.
9. Castleland Renewal Area - The approved budget for this heading is £996k, however, £100k will be required to enable outstanding works to be completed in the Penarth Renewal Area. Committee is requested to ask Cabinet to approve this virement.
10. Llandough Sustainable Transport Schemes - Committee is asked to request Cabinet approval for the inclusion of £175k into the 2015/16 Capital Programme, funded from S106 monies, to allow enhancement works to the bus shelters in Llandough, thus enabling a more co-ordinated approach to delivery of a number of related schemes in Llandough.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
11. There are no direct financial implications of this report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
12. There are no sustainability and climate change implications.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
13. There are no legal implications
Crime and Disorder Implications
14. There are no crime and disorder implications.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
15. There are no equal opportunity implications.
16. Effective monitoring assists in the provision of accurate and timely information to officers and Members and in particular allows services to better manage their resources.
Policy Framework and Budget
17. Part of this report should be referred to Council because it is contrary to and not wholly in accordance with the budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
18. Each Scrutiny Committee will receive a monitoring report on their respective areas. This report does not require Ward Member consultation.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Victoria Williams, Capital Accountant
The Directors of Social Services, Visible Services and Housing and Learning and Skills.
Rob Thomas, Managing Director