Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
(Economy and Environment): 6 September 2011
(Housing and Public Protection): 7 September 2011
(Lifelong Learning): 12 September 2011
(Corporate Resources): 13 September 2011
(Social Care and Health) 19 September 2011
Report of the Chief Executive
Improvement Plan 2011/12
Purpose of the Report
1. To present the draft Improvement Plan 2011/12, which contains performance and improvement information for all directorates and Corporate Plan priorities.
1. That the Committee endorses the Improvement Plan for 2011/12 as currently drafted.
Reason for the Recommendation
1. To ensure that actions are taken to improve performance.
2. The Council published its previous Improvement Plan, as required by the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009, on 31st October 2010.
3. The majority of the information contained within the Plan is based on the Corporate Plan and departmental service plans which were discussed by Scrutiny Committees from January - March. The Council's Corporate Plan was adopted by the Council in May 2010 with a further update in May 2011 (which formed the Improvement Plan part 1 as required by legislation).
Relevant Issues and Options
4. The Plan, as circulated to Members under separate cover on 26th August 2011, incorporates the Corporate Plan, performance information (data and text) providing a look back over 2010/11 and targets and actions for 2011/12. The performance information will be used by the Wales Audit Office to assess the Council’s ability to improve, and therefore is of critical importance to the reputation of the Council.
5. The Plan is substantially complete, although further minor amendments will be required following last minute changes to performance information provided by the Local Government Data Unit and proofreading. This information will need to be included prior to the final draft being presented to Cabinet in September.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
6. The production of the Improvement Plan is a major annual project that involves a considerable amount of time from Members and officers alike. The cost of producing the Plan and publishing a bilingual summary in October is met through existing budgets.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
7. The Improvement Plan is a statutory duty under the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009.
Crime and Disorder Implications
8. The Plan includes improvement actions with respect to the community safety and youth offending functions.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
9. The Plan provides a statement of the Council’s proposed actions in relation to equalities policies. The summary document provides members of the public with an opportunity to become aware of the Council’s performance and will be produced bilingually.
10. The Plan provides information on the improvement objectives outlined in the Corporate Plan.
Policy Framework and Budget
11. The Improvement Plan forms a part of the Policy Framework and is required to be agreed by Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
12. The majority of the information contained within the Plan is based on the Corporate Plan and on departmental service plans which were discussed by Scrutiny Committees between January and March 2011.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Reforming the Wales Programme for Improvement - Guidance to Local Authorities 2010
Corporate Plan 2010/2014
Vale of Glamorgan Community Strategy 2011 - 2021
Beverly Noon 01446 709746
All relevant officers have been consulted on the contents of this report:
Heads of Service
John Maitland Evans, Chief Executive