Agenda Item No.
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
ECONOMY AND ENVIRONMENT SCRUTINY COMMITTEE 6TH NOVEMBER 2012.
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 15TH OCTOBER, 2012
C1863 Civil Parking Enforcement – Progress – (EVS) (Scrutiny - Economy and Environment) -
A report was presented to Cabinet on 23rd July 2012 entitled 'Civil Parking Enforcement - Progress'. The report advised Members of the progress being made towards obtaining powers from the Welsh Government (WG) to take on Civil Parking Enforcement (CPE) within the Vale of Glamorgan. Cabinet resolved that a further report on the matter be submitted in September 2012.
It was reported to Cabinet on 29th February 2012 that the Council would obtain CPE powers by April 2013, and this was still the case.
The report also dealt with specific issues which had been determined or were being progressed in relation to the following matters:
Civil Enforcement Area Application
Review of Traffic Regulation Orders, Signs and Lines
Production of Map-based Schedules
Joint Service Provision
Possible Acceleration of Programme
In response to a request from the Leader and the Cabinet Member for Environment and Visible Services that officers give urgent consideration to obtaining CPE powers earlier than the April 2013 date previously identified, the Project Board commissioned the Bridgend and Vale Internal Audit Shared Service to undertake a study to establish if any reduction in the implementation timescale was possible.
The study had concluded that:
(1) There were a number of tasks that might be actioned sooner or completed in less time yet doing so might increase risks to the project and would not necessarily contribute towards an earlier implementation date.
(2) Although the project was currently on track, there was a risk that without additional resources the project might not meet the April 2013 date.
Consequently, the timetable for completion of this project remained 1st April 2013.
This was a matter for Executive decision.
(1) T H A T the contents of the report be noted.
(2) T H A T the report be referred to the Scrutiny Committee (Economy and Environment).
(3) T H A T a further progress report be presented to Members in January 2013.
(4) T H A T Civil Parking Enforcement officers are employed before 1st April 2013, even if CPE powers had not been gained to issue warning notices.
(5) T H A T the administration lobby the Welsh Government to request that the CPE powers are fast tracked.
Reasons for Decisions
(1) To advise Cabinet.
(2) To advise the Scrutiny Committee.
(3) To provide a further update on progress with this project.
(4&5) To progress matters.
Attached as Appendix - Report to Cabinet: 15th October, 2012