Agenda Item No.
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (ECONOMY AND ENVIRONMENT): 15th JANUARY, 2013.
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 3rd DECEMBER, 2012.
C1933 BARRY CLUSTER COMMUNITIES FIRST (RIPT) (SCRUTINY – ECONOMY AND ENVIRONMENT) –
Approval was sought to accept the grant offer from the Welsh Government in relation to the Barry Cluster Communities First Bid.
The Communities First (CF) programme set by the Welsh Government (WG) had been in existence since 2002. Since that time there had been two CF areas in Barry, these were Gibbonsdown CF and Castleland CF. Both areas were managed by Vale of Glamorgan Council and Partnership Boards.
In terms of the future of the Communities First Programme, WG had requested that a new Cluster programme be implemented based on the most deprived 20% of Lower Super Output Areas (LSOAs) in Wales.
The proposed Cluster areas in Barry were Castleland (1+2), Cadoc (1, 3+4), Court (3), Gibbonsdown (1, 2+4) and Buttrills (2). These were illustrated in appendix A to the report. Appendix 2 highlighted the details of the LOSA’s. The population of the proposed Cluster stood at approximately 15800.
The Council prepared a Communities First Bid Proposal that was based around three themes, namely Learning, Prosperous and Healthy Communities. The bid was submitted to Welsh Government in June, 2012, and was successful but the Council awaited a formal written offer.
The bid sought a total of £1.4 million over the programme period. This figure would vary as programmed amendments were needed. This was a 100% grant and included a contribution, limited to 10% of the programme, towards the Council's management costs.
Once the bid had been agreed by WG, there would be a period of staff recruitment to allow the CF arrangements to come into being in January 2013, and to appoint a new CF Cluster Board.
This was a matter for Executive decision.
(1) T H A T the Director of Development Services be given delegated powers to accept the grant offer from Welsh Government, implement the programme; enter into service agreements as appropriate and recruit staff, in consultation with the Managing Director and Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Innovation, Planning and Transportation.
(2) T H A T the Director of Development Services, in consultation with the Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Innovation, Planning and Transportation establish a Communities First Cluster Partnership Board.
(3) T H A T this report be referred to the Economy and Environment Scrutiny Committee for information.
Reasons for decisions
(1) In order to deliver the programme.
(2) In order to establish Governance and Community buy-in.
(3) To apprise the Committee of the current position.
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet – 3rd December, 2012.