Agenda Item No. 5
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Economy and Environment): 17th June 2014
Report of the Director of Development Services
Purpose of the Report
1. The purpose of this report is to update the Scrutiny Committee on progress with the play sufficiency audit and other matters related to the Council's play service.
1. That Committee notes the report.
Reason for the Recommendation
1. That Committee supports the work carried out by the Council's play service.
2. When the play sufficiency audit was discussed by the Economy and Environment Scrutiny Committee on 15th January 2013, a further report on play was requested at a future date to update the Committee (Minute 736).
Relevant Issues and Options
3. Significant progress has been made since the production of the play sufficiency audit. A number of challenges have also arisen and not all of the actions from the audit have been completed. However, opportunities such as the Welsh Government increasing Play Opportunities Grant have meant that priorities have also needed to change to ensure maximum benefit has been achieved from the resources available.
4. A detailed report on progress within the play service during the previous financial year is attached at Appendix A.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
5. Grant was provided by Welsh Government to assist with the completion of the play sufficiency audit. The Welsh Government also awarded the Authority grant funding for Increasing Play Opportunities as detailed in Appendix A. Other challenges in terms of play funding do remain but the section is committed to providing the best possible service within the resources allocated.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
6. The Council's Sports and Play Development Team is aware of the Council's commitment to sustainability and tries to enforce this message when delivering sessions. Encouraging participation in sporting activities can also add to community cohesion whilst at the same time encouraging a wider adoption of healthy lifestyle choices.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
7. There are no legal implications associated with this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
8. Quality provision of leisure activities are now proven to assist in the reduction of crime and disorder.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
9. The Council's play service is delivered in accordance with the Council's Equal Opportunities Policy.
10. The provision of the services discussed in this report are integral to the Council's health and wellbeing objectives.
Policy Framework and Budget
11. This report is consistent with the policy framework and budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
12. No Ward Members have been consulted on this report as play is delivered across the whole of the Vale of Glamorgan.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
13. Economy and Environment.
David Knevett, Operational Manager, Leisure and Tourism. Tel. 01446 704817
Sport and Play Development Manager
Head of Finance
Rob Thomas, Director of Development Services