Agenda Item No. 6
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (ECONOMY AND ENVIRONMENT): 15 JULY 2014
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 16 JUNE 2014
C2352 VALE OF GLAMORGAN DESTINATION ACTION PLAN (RIPT) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – ECONOMY AND ENVIRONMENT) –
Members were presented with a Draft Destination Action Plan for the Vale of Glamorgan.
Destination Management was defined by Visit Wales as "coordinating all the activities and services which impacted on the visitor and their enjoyment of a destination". Such activities and services included those provided by the Council as well as others and could include accommodation, cafes, shops, events and cultural experiences.
To assist in bringing all various elements together, Visit Wales had tasked local authorities to develop Destination Action Plans (DAP). It was suggested that the DAP for a particular area should summarise the current situation with reference to Destination Management, should consider strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats, relating to the area and include a list of actions or projects. It was also indicated that the DAP would be important in providing supporting evidence in funding applications.
The Draft of a Destination Action Plan (DAP) for the Vale of Glamorgan was attached at Appendix 1 to the report . The structure of the Plan follows that suggested by Visit Wales. The first part of the Plan was strategic in nature containing an introduction and relevant context and background to the Vale of Glamorgan and the importance of tourism. This element also included an assessment, focusing on strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. The Plan set out a vision, priorities and actions that were listed as follows:
Raising the profile (promoting the Vale).
Improving the public realm and tourism infrastructure (Place Development).
Enhancing the tourism product and experience (Product Development).
Enhancing the sense of place (Place Promotion).
Improving leadership and delivery (Partnership and Development).
In terms of moving forward, the Plan was currently in Draft form and it was proposed that the Plan be approved for consultation. It was envisaged that consultation will involve discussions with relevant stakeholders and officers were currently exploring the option of holding an event to bring stakeholders together to discuss the draft DAP. It was envisaged that the DAP could be the subject of this year's Business Breakfast event of the Vale of Glamorgan Show. Following consultation and incorporation of any changes and amendments it was proposed that the Plan be adopted by the Council. This would require a further report to Cabinet.
This was a matter for Executive decision.
(1) T H A T the Draft Destination Action Plan as attached at Appendix 1 to the report be approved for consultation purposes.
(2) T H A T the report be referred to the Scrutiny Committee (Economy and Environment) as part of the consultation process.
(3) T H A T the report be referred to the Councils Youth Cabinet as part of the consultation process.
(4) T H A T following consultation a further report be presented to Cabinet with the results of the consultation, and with any revisions necessary to the plan.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To enable the Destination Action Plan to be subject to consultation.
(2) To allow Scrutiny Committee (Economy and Environment) to consider the Destination Action Plan.
(3) To allow the Councils Youth Cabinet to consider the Destination Action Plan.
(4) To allow the Council to approve a final Destination Action Plan.
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet – 16 JUNE 2014