Agenda Item No. 5
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (ECONOMY AND ENVIRONMENT): 6 JANUARY 2015
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 28 NOVEMBER 2014
C2550 INNOVATION QUARTER: MARKETING AND DISPOSAL OF IQ SOUTHERN DEVELOPMENT SITE (RIPT) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – ECONOMY AND ENVIRONMENT) -
Approval was sought for the Director of Resources to appoint marketing agents to market and dispose of the IQ Southern Development Site.
The Innovation Quarter was a 19-acre mixed use urban quarter located within Barry Waterfront that was being regenerated by the Vale of Glamorgan Council by way of a joint venture with the Welsh Government. To date a number of development projects had been facilitated at the Innovation Quarter including the Premier Inn Hotel and Brewers Fayre Restaurant, West Quay Medical Centre, the Business Service Centre (with its 15 offices and workshops), the Skills Training Centre, and contracts had also been exchanged with a developer for converting the Hydraulic Pumphouse into 15 Live Work Units and commercial uses.
To further progress the regeneration of the Innovation Quarter it was proposed to market and dispose of the land shown indicatively edged red in Appendix A attached to the report as an opportunity for one or more of the following uses: Financial and Professional Services (Use Class A2), Food and Drink (Use Class A3), Business (Use Class B1), and Assembly and Leisure (Use Class D2) uses. The latter D2 use class included cinemas and as members would be aware it was an aspiration of the Council to secure a cinema for Barry in accordance with the Council's Corporate Plan (2013 -17), which stated an aim was to "... actively seek a new cinema for the town of Barry (2015/16) ..."
An appropriate development scheme secured for the IQ Southern Development site would assist the delivery of the urban quarter vision for the Innovation Quarter, regenerate a brown-field site, boost the local economy and create jobs.
At the meeting the Cabinet Member for Adult Services commented that he welcomed this report as he felt that there was a danger that this particular parcel of land would be left undeveloped whilst the rest of the waterfront commenced development at pace.
He further commented that there needed to be more facilities made available for the residents of Barry and it was therefore important that this was progressed through the development of this important site.
The Leader mentioned that there had been discussions with staff from the Memorial Hall Barry as one of the options for the site was to provide a cinema. However, he further commented that the report allowed other interested parties to put forward alternative options for development, so if alternatives, came forward it would not to delay the development of the land.
This was a matter for Executive decision
(1) T H A T authority be granted to the Director of Resources to market and dispose of the IQ Southern Development Site located within the Innovation Quarter plan edged red on Appendix A as attached to the report for one or more following uses: Financial and Professional Services (Use Class A2), Food and Drink (Use Class A3), Business (Use Class B1), and Assembly and Leisure (Use Class D2) in consultation with the Leader, Cabinet Member for Regeneration, Innovation, Planning and Transportation, Director of Development Services and Head of Legal Services subject to the consent of the Welsh Government.
(2) T H A T authority be granted to the Director of Resources to appoint marketing agents to market and dispose of the IQ Southern Development Site.
(3) T H A T authority be granted for the Head of Legal Services to prepare, execute and complete all legal documentation required to facilitate the disposal of the IQ Southern Development Site subject to the consent of the Welsh Government.
(4) T H A T in marketing the site, under Resolution 1 above, particular emphasis be placed in attracting interest and potential bids for a new cinema and that the evaluation of the bids received reflect this emphasis.
(5) T H A T the report be referred to Scrutiny Committee (Economy and Environment) for Consideration.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To enable the marketing and disposal of the IQ Southern Development Site located within the Innovation Quarter subject to the consent of the Welsh Government.
(2) To appoint marketing agents to assist with the marketing of the site.
(3) To enable the disposal of the site.
(4) To satisfy the Corporate Plan priority of the Council actively seeking a new Cinema for Barry.
(5) For the Scrutiny Committee (Economy and Environment) to Consider the contents of the report.
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet – 28 NOVEMBER 2014