Agenda Item No. 8
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Economy and Environment): 14th April, 2015
Report of the Director of Resources
Scrutiny Decision Tracking of Recommendations and Work Programme Schedule 2014/15
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise Members of progress in relation to the Scrutiny Committee recommendations and to confirm the updated / amended work programme schedule for the Scrutiny Committee for 2014/15:
· 4th Quarter January - March 2015 (Appendix A)
· 3rd Quarter October - December 2014 (Appendix B)
· Work Programme Schedule 2014/15 (Appendix C).
1. That the views of the Committee on the status of the actions listed in Appendices A and B to the report be sought.
2. That the updated / amended work programme schedule attached at Appendix C be approved and uploaded to the Council's website.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To maintain effective tracking of the Committee's recommendations.
2. For information.
2. An integral part of effective scrutiny is a mechanism for Scrutiny Committees to monitor their recommendations to ensure that desired actions are carried out and where necessary progress is reported back.
3. The work programme schedule provides a breakdown of reports anticipated to be considered by the Scrutiny Committee over the forthcoming months.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. Appendices A and B attached to this report set out the recommendations of the Scrutiny Committee and Members are requested to review progress against each recommendation, to assess whether further action may be required, ensure the required action is undertaken and to confirm which recommendations are to be agreed as completed.
5. It is important that decisions of Scrutiny Committees are tracked and monitored as failure to do so could result in a risk that recommended courses of action will not be followed and consequently lost. This would undermine the credibility of the scrutiny process.
6. Members are also requested to confirm approval of the Scrutiny Committee Work Programme Schedule attached at Appendix C, it being noted that the schedule is a proposed list of items for consideration and may be subject to change depending on prevailing circumstances.
7. The work programme itself details reports that have been requested by the Scrutiny Committee together with items that require regular monitoring and scrutiny. Other reports will be added to the schedule as and when necessity arises. The schedule will also detail requests for consideration that have been received and the consideration given by officers of the likely date they can be reported to the relevant Committee. With regard to Call-in requests that are made following decisions of Cabinet as these are required to be dealt with within 20 working days of a Cabinet decision (as per the Council's Constitution) they will be included within the programme as and when received.
8. The work programme can also be found on the Council's website at the following link: http://www.valeofglamorgan.gov.uk/en/our_council/council/scrutiny/scrutiny_committees.aspx
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
9. None as a direct result of this report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
10. None as a direct result of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
11. None as a direct result of this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
12. None as a direct result of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
13. None as a direct result of this report.
14. Citizens of the Vale of Glamorgan can easily access efficiently managed services that are focussed around their needs, are confident in how decisions are made and are proud to live in the Vale.
Policy Framework and Budget
15. This report is in accordance with the recommendations of the WAO Democratic Renewal report and acknowledges the recommendations of the review of the Council's scrutiny function.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
16. Not applicable given the issue is an internal matter.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Relevant Scrutiny Committees and Cabinet minutes.
Karen Bowen, Democratic and Scrutiny Services Officer, Tel: (01446 709856)
Jeff Wyatt, Operational Manager (Democratic Services
Jeff Rees, Principal Democratic and Scrutiny Services Officer
Siân Davies, Director of Resources