Agenda Item No. 7
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (ECONOMY AND ENVIRONMENT): 14 JULY 2015
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 22 JUNE 2015
C2810 ADOPTION OF THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN LOCAL TRANSPORT PLAN 2015 (R) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – ECONOMY AND ENVIRONMENT) -
Cabinet approval was sought to adopt the Local Transport Plan (LTP).
Welsh Government (WG) provided a template to assist local transport authorities to submit and produce their LTPs in a consistent format, and the Council's LTP was subsequently submitted by the deadline of 31 January, 2015. In producing the LTP, the Council undertook consultation and the responses to the consultation were considered in advance of submission to the WG. It was clarified by WG that LTPs were to be assessed to ensure that they:
- Included identification of issues, opportunities and intervention;
- Provided an updated programme of schemes for the period 2015 – 2020, and which were within the remit of the local transport authority;
- Provided medium and longer term aspirations to 2030, which were within the remit of the local transport authority;
- Demonstrated the necessary statutory checks had been undertaken, if required;
- Demonstrated that consultation had been undertaken with the relevant City Region board, where applicable;
- Included a monitoring and evaluation plan;
- Were submitted in the format required, and by the deadline.
The Council received comments from 17 organisations or individuals in response to the consultation exercise. Appendix 2 as attached to the report contained details of the main issues raised through the consultation process as well as the Officers responses to the matters raised.
The consultation responses received were carefully considered and typographical errors had been corrected where appropriate, as well as changes being made where necessary and appropriate prior to submission for approval to WG. This was in line with the Council approval of 17 December, 2014. The reasons for any changes and the reasons for not making additional changes were outlined in the Council's responses at Appendix 2 attached to the report.
The Council also received a response from the Cardiff City Region Board on 8 April, 2015 a copy of which was attached at Appendix 4 to the report.
On 25 May, 2015 the Council received a response from Edwina Hart, The Minister for Economy, Science and Transport approving the Vale of Glamorgan Draft Local Transport Plan 2015, which was attached at Appendix 1 to the report. A copy of the final proposed Plan was attached at Appendix 3 to the report.
This was a matter for Executive and Council decision
(1) T H A T the contents of the proposed Vale of Glamorgan Council Local Transport Plan 2015 as attached at Appendix 3 to the report be approved and the matter be referred to a special meeting of Council before the recess to enable its adoption.
(2) T H A T the received consultation comments attached at Appendix 2 to the report be noted, and the responses to those comments be agreed.
(3) T H A T the report be referred to Scrutiny Committee (Economy and Environment) for information.
(4) T H A T resolutions 1 to 3 above be dealt with under Article 13.09 of the Council's Constitution (Urgent Decision Procedure) in order to present the Local Transport Plan 2015 to a special meeting of Council before the recess.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To enable the Council to have an adopted Local Transport Plan from 1 April, 2015 as required by statute.
(2) To ensure that all comments received as part of the consultation process had been properly considered.
(3) To inform Members of Welsh Government approval for the adoption of the Vale of Glamorgan Local Transport Plan 2015.
(4) To implement the plan as soon as possible.
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet – 22 JUNE 2015