Agenda Item No.
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (SOCIAL CARE AND HEALTH): 16TH APRIL, 2012
SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (ECONOMY AND ENVIRONMENT): 17TH APRIL, 2012
SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (HOUSING AND PUBLIC PROTECTION): 18TH APRIL, 2012
SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (LIFELONG LEARNING): 23RD APRIL, 2012
SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (CORPORATE RESOURCES): 24TH APRIL, 2012
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 28TH MARCH, 2012
“C1678 CORPORATE IMPROVEMENT OBJECTIVES 2012/13 (L) (SCRUTINY - ALL) -
Currently, the Corporate Plan included a mixture of improvement objectives (defined as those areas where improvements were needed because of existing deficiencies) and other Council priorities. The Council’s improvement objectives needed to focus specifically on those areas where there was a need for improvement. Whilst Corporate Plan objectives would not be amended for 2012/13, a full review of the Corporate Plan 2010/14 was planned during 2012 post the Local Government elections in May. As an interim measure to address the issues raised by the Auditor General in his Annual Improvement Report, an analysis of the Corporate Plan had been undertaken to identify the Council’s key improvement objectives for 2012/13 along with relevant actions and measures which contributed towards their achievement. Eight Improvement Objectives were consequently proposed for 2012/13 following the analysis of the Corporate Plan and a review of service performance to date, corporate risks and findings from the recent Wales Audit Office reviews / improvement studies and other regulators’ inspections. The Key Corporate Improvement Objectives for 2012/13 together with the proposed Improvement Objectives for 2012/13 were appended to the report. It was noted that the 2012/13 Improvement Plan Part 1 would need to be amended to reflect the above.
Revised Corporate Improvement Objectives for 2012/13 would be submitted to Council for approval.
(1) T H A T the proposed Corporate Improvement Objectives for 2012/13 be endorsed.
(2) T H A T the proposed Corporate Improvement Objectives be referred to all Scrutiny Committees for comment.
(3) T H A T the proposed Corporate Improvement Objectives be resubmitted to Cabinet on 18th April 2012 for approval and then referred to Council for approval on 25th April 2012.
(4) T H A T the proposed objectives be incorporated in the Part 1 Improvement Plan 2012/13.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To ensure that the Corporate Plan 2010/14 identifies key annual improvement priorities for 2012/13 in line with requirements of the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009.
(2) To ensure that Corporate Improvement Objectives focus specifically on those areas where there is a need for improvement, reflecting the work being undertaken across the Council to improve the quality of life for Vale residents.
(3) To enable the Council to demonstrate more easily achievement of its objectives.
(4) To meet the Auditor General for Wales’ recommendation contained in the 2012 Annual Improvement Report.”
Attached as Appendix - Report to Cabinet: 28th March, 2012