Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Housing and Public Protection): 18th July, 2012
Scrutiny Committee (Lifelong Learning): 23rd July, 2012
Scrutiny Committee (Corporate Resources): 24th July, 2012
Report of the Director of Legal, Public Protection and Housing Services
Scrutiny Committees' - Draft Annual Report May 2011 - April 2012
Purpose of the Report
1. To consider the draft 2011/2012 Annual Report for the Scrutiny Committees for the Municipal Year.
That the Scrutiny Committee approves the contents of the draft Annual Report for the period May 2011 - April 2012, subject to any further minor amendments being agreed in consultation with the Chairman, and it be presented to Full Council in September, 2012.
Reason for the Recommendation
To approve the draft Scrutiny Committees' Annual Report to allow it to be submitted to Full Council.
2. This report has been produced in accordance with Section 6.03(d) of Article 6 of the Vale of Glamorgan Council's Constitution which states that "Scrutiny Committees must report annually to Full Council on their workings and make recommendations for future work programmes and amended working methods if appropriate".
3. The Constitution of the Council provides that Scrutiny Committees also determines work programmes for the Municipal Year and that it is included in the Committees' Annual Report.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. The Scrutiny Committees' Annual Report attached at Appendix 1 contains details of the work of all the Scrutiny Committees for the previous year together with details of the forward work programme that will include, for example:
· performance monitoring
· revenue and capital expenditure monitoring
· budget proposals - annual reporting
· service planning - annual reporting
· emerging strategies from the Corporate Plan and Community Strategy
· decision tracking of Committee recommendations
· consideration of the Cabinet Forward Work Programme
· receiving progress reports on various issues and on other matters that the Committee considers.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change if appropriate)
5. The scrutiny budget of £10,000 is available to assist Scrutiny Members to undertake their role.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
6. The Council is required to comply with the Local Government Act 2000 and subordinate legislation in relation to the Scrutiny function.
Crime and Disorder Implications
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
9. To work with partners to provide leadership and representing and promoting the interests of the local community and engage effectively with citizens and stakeholders.
Policy Framework and Budget
10. Article 6 of the Constitution requires the Scrutiny Committees' Annual Report to be presented to Full Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
11. The reporting of Annual Scrutiny Committees' reports is an internal matter and, therefore, no external consultation is necessary.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Cabinet and Scrutiny Minutes 2010/11.
Jeff Rees, Principal Scrutiny and Committee Services Officer, Tel: 01446 709413
All Directors and the Improvement and Development Team
Peter H. Evans, Director of Legal, Public Protection and Housing Services