Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
(Social Care and Health): 3 September 2012
(Economy and Environment): 4 September 2012
(Housing and Public Protection): 5 September 2012
(Lifelong Learning): 10 September 2012
(Corporate Resources): 11 September 2012
Report of the Managing Director
Improvement Plan 2012/13
Purpose of the Report
1. To present the draft Improvement Plan 2012/13, which contains performance and improvement information for all directorates and Corporate Plan priorities.
1. That the Committee endorses the Improvement Plan for 2012/13.
Reason for the Recommendation
1. To ensure that actions are taken to improve the performance of the Council.
2. The Council's part 1 Improvement Plan was agreed by Cabinet on 18 April 2012; this is required by the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009. This Plan looks forward and sets improvement objectives for 2012/13.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The part 2 Improvement Plan (circulated prior to the meeting and available on the Council's website) is a document primarily looking back over 2011/12. The improvement objectives contained within it were agreed in May 2011. Information contained within the Plan is based on departmental service plans which were discussed by Scrutiny Committees in January - March 2012. It also contains key performance measures along with and targets and actions for 2012/13 as agreed by Scrutiny Committees in July 2012. Where available, it contains Welsh average performance for benchmarking purposes.
4. The performance information will be used by the Wales Audit Office to assess the Council’s capacity to improve, and therefore is of critical importance to the reputation of the Council.
5. The Plan is substantially complete, although further minor amendments will be required following changes to performance information provided by the Local Government Data Unit and from proofreading. This information will need to be included prior to the final draft being presented to Cabinet in October.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
6. The production of the Improvement Plan is a major annual project that involves a considerable amount of time from officers. The cost of producing the Plan and publishing a bilingual summary in October is met through existing budgets.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
7. Sustainability issues have been taken into account as part of the corporate and service planning processes.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. The Improvement Plan is a statutory duty under the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009, along with a duty to continually improve.
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. The Plan includes improvement actions with respect to the community safety and youth offending functions.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. The Plan provides a statement of the Council’s equality objectives. The summary document provides members of the public with an opportunity to become aware of the Council’s performance and will be produced bilingually.
11. The Plan provides information on the improvement objectives agreed by the Council.
Policy Framework and Budget
12. The Improvement Plan forms a part of the Policy Framework and is required to be agreed by Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. The majority of the information contained within the Plan is based on the agreed Corporate Plan and on departmental service plans.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Reforming the Wales Programme for Improvement - Guidance to Local Authorities 2010
Corporate Plan 2010/2014
Vale of Glamorgan Community Strategy 2011 - 2021
Beverly Noon 01446 709746
All relevant officers have been consulted on the contents of this report:
Heads of Service
Sian Davies, Managing Director