Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Housing and Public Protection) 10th October 2012
Joint Report of the Director of Development Services and the Director of Visible Services and Housing
Revenue and Capital Monitoring for the Period 1st April 2012 to 31st August 2012
Purpose of the Report
1. To bring to the attention of this Scrutiny Committee, the position in respect of revenue and capital expenditure for the period 1st April 2012 to 31st August 2012 regarding those revenue and capital budgets, which form this Committee’s remit.
1. That the position with regard to the Authority’s 2012/13 Revenue Budget and Capital Budget be noted.
Reason for the Recommendation
1. It is recommended that the Scrutiny Committee note the position with regard to the 2012/13 revenue and capital monitoring.
2. Council on the 7th March 2012 (minute no 949, 951 and 950 respectively) approved the Housing Revenue Account, Revenue and Capital Budgets for 2012/13. Reports monitoring expenditure are brought to this committee on a regular basis.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The Revenue Budget and projected outturn for 2012/13 are shown in Appendix 1.
4. Public Sector Housing (HRA) - The Housing Revenue Account is predicted to outturn on target and there is currently a favourable variance of £183k against the profiled budget. This variance is made up of an adverse variance on housing repairs of £62k which is offset by favourable variances on Salaries (£53k), Income (£30k), Premises Costs (£31k), Transport (£7k) and other Supplies and Services (£124k).
5. Private Sector/General Fund Housing & Community Safety - The Housing General Fund is predicted to outturn on target.
6. Appendix 2 details financial progress on the Capital Programme as at 31st August 2012.
Variance between Actual Spend to date and Profiled Spend
7. Cabinet have previously agreed that further information would be provided where schemes have a value of over £500K and show a variance of 20% or more between actual spend and the profile. The following scheme meets this criteria:-
8. Disabled Facilities Grants - Expenditure on this budget is running behind profile because of health and safety requirements which delayed early grant approvals. This has since been resolved and work is being undertaken to improve approval rates. No change has been made to the expenditure profile.
9. Appendix 3 provides non-financial information on capital construction schemes with a budget of over £100,000. Where a budget shown in Appendix 2 is more than £100,000 but is made up of several smaller schemes that individually are less than £100,000, the scheme is not included in Appendix 3.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
10. As detailed in the body of the report
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
11. There are no direct implications arising from this report
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
12. There are no legal implications
Crime and Disorder Implications
13. There are no crime and disorder implications
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
14. There are no equal opportunity implications
15. Effective monitoring assists in the provision of accurate and timely information to officers and members and in particular allows services to better manage their resources
Policy Framework and Budget
16. Report is in accordance with the Policy Framework and Budget
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
17. The appropriate Chief Officer has been consulted. This report does not require Ward Member consultation
Carolyn Michael (Senior Group Accountant) (01446 709778)
Director of Development Services
Director of Visible Services and Housing