Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Housing and Public Protection) 16th January 2013
Joint Report of the Director of Development Services and the Director of Visible Services and Housing
Revenue and Capital Monitoring for the Period 1st April 2012 to 30th November 2012
Purpose of the Report
1. To bring to the attention of this Scrutiny Committee, the position in respect of revenue and capital expenditure for the period 1st April 2012 to 30th November 2012 regarding those revenue and capital budgets, which form this Committee’s remit.
1. That the position with regard to the Authority’s 2012/13 Revenue Budget and Capital Budget be noted.
Reason for the Recommendation
1. It is recommended that the Scrutiny Committee note the position with regard to the 2012/13 revenue and capital monitoring.
2. Cabinet on 19th November 2012 (min no c1910, c1911 and c1912) approved the amended capital, revenue and Housing Revenue Account budgets for 2012/13. Reports monitoring expenditure are brought to this committee on a regular basis.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The Revenue Budget and projected outturn for 2012/13 are shown in Appendix 1.
4. Public Sector Housing (HRA) - The Housing Revenue Account is predicted to outturn on target and there is currently a favourable variance of £134k against the profiled budget. This variance is made up of an adverse variance on the housing repairs demand led responsive maintenance service of £65k, which will be monitored closely throughout the year to attempt to bring expenditure within budget. This variance is offset by favourable variances on Salaries (£40k), Income (£28k), Premises Costs (£21k), Transport (£9k) and other Supplies and Services (£101k).
5. General Fund Housing - The Housing Services General Fund Account is currently showing a favourable variance of £11k on supplies and services but is expected to outturn on target.
6. Private Sector Housing and Public Protection - Both these areas are predicted to outturn on target.
7. Appendix 2 details financial progress on the Capital Programme as at 30th November 2012.
Variance between Actual Spend to date and Profiled Spend
8. Cabinet have previously agreed that further information would be provided where schemes have a value of over £500k and show a variance of 20% or more between actual spend and the profile. The following scheme meets this criteria:-
9. Castleland Renewal Area - Expenditure is currently running behind profile as monies budgeted for loft insulation have not been required by householders who have mostly had these works done via utility companies seeking carbon emissions reductions. There is likely to be slippage on this budget in order to continue phased works next year. This will be quantified by the next monitoring report.
10. Appendix 3 provides non-financial information on capital construction schemes with a budget of over £100,000. Where a budget shown in Appendix 2 is more than £100,000 but is made up of several smaller schemes that individually are less than £100,000, the scheme is not included in Appendix 3.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
11. As detailed in the body of the report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
12. There are no direct implications arising from this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
13. There are no legal implications.
Crime and Disorder Implications
14. There are no crime and disorder implications.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
15. There are no equal opportunity implications.
16. Effective monitoring assists in the provision of accurate and timely information to officers and Members and in particular allows services to better manage their resources.
Policy Framework and Budget
17. Report is in accordance with the Policy Framework and Budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
18. The appropriate Chief Officer has been consulted. This report does not require Ward Member consultation.
Carolyn Michael (Senior Group Accountant) (01446 709778)
Director of Development Services
Director of Visible Services and Housing