Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Housing and Public Protection) 19th June 2013
Joint Report of the Director of Development Services and the Director of Visible Services and Housing
Revenue and Capital Monitoring for the Period 1st April 2013 to 30th April 2013
Purpose of the Report
1. To bring to the attention of this Scrutiny Committee, the position in respect of revenue and capital expenditure for the period 1st April 2013 to 30th April 2013 regarding those revenue and capital budgets, which form this Committee’s remit.
It is recommended that :
1. The position with regard to the 2013/14 Revenue Budget and Capital Budget be noted.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. That Scrutiny Committee note the position with regard to the 2013/14 revenue and capital monitoring.
2. Council on the 6th March 2013 (minute no 943, 942 and 941 respectively) approved the Revenue, Capital and Housing Revenue Accounts Budgets for 2013/14. Reports monitoring expenditure are brought to this committee on a regular basis.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The projected outturn for the 2013/14 Revenue Budget is shown in comparison with the Revenue Budget at Appendix 1. It is very early in the financial year and the forecast is for a balanced budget.
4. Appendix 2 details financial progress on the Capital Programme as at 30th April 2013.
5. The monitoring report shows actual expenditure spent for the month of April 2013 and is matched by a similar figure in the profile to date column, thereby showing no variances. Profiled expenditure has been requested from Project Managers and will be updated in the next report.
6. Members should be aware that Appendix 2 does not include requests for unspent committed expenditure to be slipped from 2012/13 into 2013/14. A request for this slippage will be included in the Closing Down report presented to a future Cabinet meeting.
7. For all schemes where it is evident that the full year's budget will not be spent during the year, the relevant officers are required to provide an explanation for the shortfall and this shall be taken to the earliest available Cabinet.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
8. As detailed in the body of the report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
9. There are no direct implications arising from this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
10. There are no legal implications.
Crime and Disorder Implications
11. There are no crime and disorder implications.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
12. There are no equal opportunity implications.
13. Effective monitoring assists in the provision of accurate and timely information to officers and members and in particular allows services to better manage their resources.
Policy Framework and Budget
14. Report is in accordance with the Policy Framework and Budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
15. The appropriate Chief Officer has been consulted. This report does not require Ward Member consultation.
Carolyn Michael (Senior Group Accountant) (01446 709778)
Director of Development Services
Director of Visible Services and Housing