Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee [Lifelong Learning] : 7th November 2011
Report of the Director of Learning and Development
Requirements of the new 'Welsh in Education Strategic Plans'
Purpose of the Report
1. To inform Members of the changes in planning for Welsh Education for 2012.
1. To inform Members of the requirements of the new Welsh in Education Strategic Plans (Powerpoint Presentation - Appendix 1).
Reason for the Recommendation
1. Members are kept informed of the changes to date.
2. From 2012 all LA's 'Welsh Education Schemes' currently approved and monitored by the Welsh Language Board, will become the responsibility of the Welsh Government.
3. The Vale's current Welsh Education Scheme(2009-2013) will be replaced in 2012 by the Welsh in Education Strategic Plan (WESP).
4. The Welsh in Education Strategic Plan (WESP) will detail how the authority will aim to achieve the Welsh Government's outcomes and targets outlined in the Welsh Medium Education Strategy (WMES 2010).
5. The Welsh in Education Strategic Plan (WESP) will continue to form a part of the Council's broad strategy for the Welsh Language and will contain an action plan for the development of Welsh education in the Vale of Glamorgan.
Relevant Issues and Options
6. The Welsh Education Scheme (2009-14) previously considered by this Committee is a comprehensive document identifying the actions required to meet this Council's obligations under the relevant legislation provision.
7. The Welsh Medium in Education Strategy targets and outcomes will be largely delivered by actions detailed in the LA 'Welsh in Education Strategic Plan' and funded by the Welsh in Education Grant.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
8. The resources required to deliver the Council's obligations under the new Welsh in Education Strategic Plan are included in current revenue budgets.
9. The Welsh in Education Grant awarded annually will contribute towards supporting the resources required to deliver the targets and outcomes of the new Welsh in Education Strategic Plan.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
10. For 2012/13 the WESP will be submitted on a voluntary basis, however the Welsh Government has announced that proposals are imminent to place the WESP on a statutory basis to be included in the first Welsh Education Bill.
Crime and Disorder Implications
11. There are no crime and disorder implications.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
12. The new Welsh in Education Strategic Plan will be one of the key elements of the Council's response to its equal opportunities and Welsh Language obligations.
13. The priorities and principles of the new Welsh in Education Strategic Plans will be fully integrated into the Directorate objectives for Lifelong Learning.
Policy Framework and Budget
14. This item falls within the Council's existing policy framework and budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
15. Not applicable.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
16. Lifelong Learning.
'Welsh in Education Strategic Plans' - guidelines from Welsh Government.
Menna Roberts, Welsh Language Adviser
Lynette Jones, Head of Achievement
Bryan Jeffreys, Director of Learning and Development