Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Lifelong Learning): 5th December 2011
Report of the Director of Legal, Public Protection and Housing Services
Youth Provision Task and Finish Group of the Scrutiny Committee (Lifelong Learning)
Purpose of the Report
1. Following a request by the Youth Provision Task and Finish Group permission is sought for an extension to the review of Youth Provision and to also update the Scrutiny Committee on the progress to date in relation to the work of the Group.
That the Scrutiny Committee notes the progress to date and approves the extension of the timescale of the Review.
Reason for the Recommendation
To seek Scrutiny Committee approval for slippage in the timescale.
2. The Youth Provision Task and Finish Group was established in order to undertake a review of the Youth Service within the Vale of Glamorgan.
3. The Task and Finish Group has met on five occasions and has considered a number of aspects e.g. collaboration work with Bridgend County Borough Council, the introduction of the QES Management Information System that is being utilised by the Youth Service, the performance targets required for the service, the financial implications for the service and the restructuring exercise for the service that has taken place.
Relevant Issues and Options
4. The Group would also like to interview a number of youth organisations in the area and, due to circumstances beyond its control, arrangements for the date for such a meeting is currently being arranged for mid December 2011 in order for the Group to gain first hand knowledge of the service from its recipients which the Group feel is an essential element to the review. The resignation of the previous Chairman of the Group and from the Scrutiny Committee itself has also had an effect on the timescale for the review and, as such, the Members of the Group wish to request an extension to the timescale with a view to the final report being with the Scrutiny Committee by no later than March 2012. The Group is aware that the report for the review was due to be submitted to the Committee in December 2011, however, as a result of the work undertaken as detailed in paragraph 3 above and the changes in membership, the Group wishes to request an extension of that timescale.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
5. There are no immediate financial implications as a result of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
6. There are no immediate legal implications as a result of this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
7. None arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
8. None arising from this report.
9. "To work with partners to ensure that Children and Young People in the Vale are well informed and supported to access a broad range of quality services that enable them to take full advantage of the life opportunities available in the local community and beyond."
Policy Framework and Budget
10. This is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
11. No direct consultation as a result of this report.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
12. Lifelong Learning.
Minutes of the Task and Finish Group
Karen Bowen, Scrutiny and Committee Services Officer
Tel: (01446) 709856
Peter H. Evans, Director of Legal, Public Protection and Housing Services