Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Lifelong Learning): 23rd April 2012
Report of the Chairman
Youth Service Provision Task and Finish Group
Purpose of the Report
1. To apprise Members of the review undertaken by the Youth Service Provision Task and Finish Group.
1. That the report, recommendations and action plan of the Task and Finish Group as detailed at Appendix A be accepted and referred to Cabinet for approval.
2. That, subject to Cabinet approval, the Scrutiny Committee receives an update on the development of the recommendations within six months.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. To apprise Members.
2. To apprise Members and monitor progress.
2. The Scrutiny Committee (Lifelong Learning) established the Youth Service Provision Task and Finish Group to consider the progress since the previous review in 2006, the impact of the restructuring of the Service and that young people have a quality provision and, in particular, to develop an action plan that can be monitored by the Scrutiny Committee on any changes proposed for the Service.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. Members of the Group fully participated in undertaking visits to gather evidence for the review and a successful event took place with young people in December 2011 as part of the process.
4. The Executive summary of the review (page 2 of the report) provides an overview of the review and identifies one of the key findings as Collaboration which is detailed commencing at paragraph 93 of the report.
5. The recommendations of the review can be found on pages 2, 3 and 4 of the report (attached at Appendix A).
6. The review has highlighted the current good work that is being undertaken by the Service within limited resources but recommends further improvement actions as detailed in the recommendations.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
7. The report has identified improvements that will no doubt have an impact on resources but many can be progressed internally within current resources.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
8. There are no legal implications as a direct result of this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
9. There are no direct crime and disorder implications as a result of the report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
10. An effective approach to dealing with the review will positively impact on all sectors of the community.
11. The report has been prepared with regard to the Council's Corporate Plan and as outlined in the Community Strategy that "Children and young people in the Vale are well informed and supported across a broad range of quality services that enable them to take full advantage of the life opportunities available in their local communities and beyond".
Policy Framework and Budget
12. The report is within the Council's Policy Framework and Budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
13. None as a direct result of this report as it is Vale wide.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
14. Lifelong Learning.
Minutes of Task and Finish Group meetings and evidence gathered during the review.
Karen Bowen (Scrutiny and Committee Services Officer), tel: 01446 709856
Heads of Service Lifelong Learning
Councillor Mrs. S.I. Sharpe, Chairman of the Task and Finish Group