Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Lifelong Learning): 23rd July 2012
Report of the Chief Executive
Revenue and Capital Monitoring for the period 1st April 2012 to 31st May 2012
Purpose of the Report
1. To bring to the attention of this Scrutiny Committee, the position in respect of revenue and capital expenditure for the period 1st April 2012 to 31st May 2012 regarding those revenue and capital budgets, which form this Committee’s remit.
1. It is recommended that the Scrutiny Committee note the position with regard to the 2012/13 revenue and capital monitoring.
Reason for the Recommendation
1. That Members are aware of the position with regard to the 2012/13 revenue and capital monitoring relevant to this Scrutiny Committee.
2. Council on the 7th March 2012 (minute nos. 951 and 950 respectively) approved the Revenue and Capital Budgets for 2012/13. Reports monitoring expenditure are brought to this committee on a regular basis.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The Revenue Budget and projected outturn for 2012/2013 are shown in Appendix 1.
4. Overall, the Education Budget is projected to balance as at the end of March 2013. Any savings identified between now and the end of the year will be available to re-direct into the School Investment Strategy or other reserves.
5. Provision has been made within the budget for the annual cost of financing the School Investment Strategy of £600,000. This sum will be transferred to the School Investment Strategy Reserve.
6. The delegated budget relating to schools is expected to balance as any under/over spend is carried forward by schools.
Grant Related Expenditure
7. Schools have access to Welsh Government funded grants. Details of any further grants which have not yet been confirmed will be reported in subsequent monitoring reports.
8. Appendix 2 details financial progress on the Capital Programme as at 31st May 2012.
9. Profiled expenditure has been requested from all Project Managers, though not all have at this time been received. All data received is included in Appendix 2.
10. Members should be aware that Appendix 2 does not include requests for unspent committed expenditure to be slipped from 2011/12 into 2012/13. A request for this slippage will be included in the Closing Down report presented to future Cabinet and Scrutiny meetings. The request will also be referred to Council for approval.
11. For all schemes where it is evident that the full year's budget will not be spent during the year, the relevant officers are required to provide an explanation for the shortfall.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
12. As detailed in the body of the report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
13. There are no legal implications.
Crime and Disorder Implications
14. There are no crime and disorder implications.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
15. There are no equal opportunity implications.
16. Effective monitoring assists in the provision of accurate and timely information to officers and Members and in particular allows services to better manage their resources.
Policy Framework and Budget
17. The report is in accordance with the Policy Framework and Budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
18. The appropriate Chief Officer has been consulted. This report does not require Ward Member consultation.
Carolyn Michael (Senior Group Accountant) (01446 709778)
John Maitland Evans - Chief Executive