Agenda Item No. 4
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (LIFELONG LEARNING): 22 APRIL, 2013
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 8 APRIL, 2013.
C1298 SCHOOL ADMISSION ARRANGEMENTS 2014/2015 (REF) –
Cabinet were advised of the conclusion of the Council’s statutory consultation exercise on school admission arrangements for Community Schools in accordance with the Education (Determination of Admission arrangements) (Wales) Regulations 2006.
A local authority had a statutory duty to consult on school admission arrangements annually. The School Admission Arrangements must be determined by 15 April 2013 for implementation in 2014/15.
The School Admissions Policy was issued for consultation on 11 January, 2013 to Headteachers and chairs of governors of all schools in the relevant area (including other admission authorities), neighbouring Local Authorities and Diocesan Directors of Education. Responses were required by 1 March, 2013.
Consultation was also undertaken with parents of children, excluding year 6 children, in attendance at Vale schools on 17 January 2013. Responses were required by 1 March 2013. The consultation was also published on the Vale of Glamorgan Council website.
The local authority was required to publish a composite document each year for the subsequent school year admission round detailing school admission arrangements for all maintained schools in its area. This information was contained within the Council’s information booklet "Educating Children in the Vale of Glamorgan - A Parental Guide to School Admission in the Vale".
The local authority received 785 written responses to the consultation exercise of which 22 respondents were in favour of the change and the remainder were either opposed or had serious concerns. The local authority also received two petitions with 1015 signatures objecting to the proposals.
The main themes emanating from the consultation exercise were summarised in Appendix B to the report.
The current oversubscription criteria for secondary schools together with the proposed criteria consulted on and revised criteria post consultation were attached to the report at Appendix C.
The admission arrangements detailed in the attached School Admissions Policy 2014/2015 at Appendix A to the report would be operational for the 2014/15 academic year.
This was a matter for Executive decision
(1) T H A T the Schools Admissions Policy for 2014/2015, retaining feeder schools as a high priority within the policy, attached at Appendix A to the report be approved.
(2) T H A T the report be referred to Lifelong Learning Scrutiny Committee for information.
(3) T H A T the Managing Director use emergency powers to submit the Schools Admissions Policy for 2014/2015 in order to meet the 15 April, 2013 deadline if necessary.
Reasons for decisions
(1) The Council is required to review school admission arrangements annually and to determine the arrangements for 2014/15 following appropriate consultation by 15 April 2013.
(2) To inform the Lifelong Learning Scrutiny Committee of the proposed changes to the admission arrangement.
(3) In order to meet the deadline
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet – 8th April 2013