Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Lifelong Learning): 24th June 2013
Report of the Chief Learning and Skills Officer
Release of Part II Scrutiny Report: School Places Review
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise Members in relation to the request to release the Part II report of the Lifelong Learning Scrutiny Committee School Places Review Task and Finish Group.
1. The Part II Report of the Lifelong Learning Scrutiny Committee School Places Review Task and Finish Group is not released at this time.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. The Cabinet is in the process of reviewing all available information with regard to school places and intends developing proposals for consultation in due course. It is not considered to be in the public interest to release two different sets of proposals as this could cause confusion and could prejudice the outcome of consultation.
2. Grounds for exemption of information contained in the School Places Review Report were submitted and approved by the "proper officer," in December 2012. The exemption applied to the report at that time was: "contemplation of consultations relating to labour relations matters between the Authority and employees of the Authority."
3. The Part II Report of the School Places Review Task and Finish Group was considered by the Lifelong Learning Scrutiny Committee at its meeting held on 21st January 2013. The report and recommendations were approved and referred to cabinet for consideration (Minute No. 760).
4. Cabinet considered the Part II report on 4th February 2013.
5. Councillor Jarvie has requested that the Lifelong Learning Scrutiny Committee considers releasing the Part II report.
Relevant Issues and Options
6. Building on the work of the Scrutiny Committee School Places Review Group, Cabinet is developing a range of proposals which it intends consulting on in due course. Whilst it is accepted that the Scrutiny Committee report must be released at some point in the future, it is not considered in the public interest to do so at the present time for the following reasons:
Two sets of proposals would be in the public domain at the same time which is likely to cause confusion and could prejudice the outcome of consultation.
It is possible that that one or more of the recommendations put forward by the Scrutiny Committee will be taken forward by the Cabinet and the original reason for exemption (exemption 15: contemplation of consultations relating to labour relations matters between the Authority and employees of the Authority) is therefore still applicable. In essence this means that some proposals will have staffing implications and the release of the proposals prior to consultation could prejudice the outcome of consultation and negotiations with the Trades Unions.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
7. There are no resource implications associated with this report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
8. There are no sustainability and climate change implications arising from this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
9. Schedule 12A Local Government Act 1972 Exemption from Disclosure of Documents
Crime and Disorder Implications
10. There are no crime and disorder implications arising from this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
11. There are no equal opportunities issues arising directly from this report.
Policy Framework and Budget
13. This is a matter for Executive decision.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
14. Not applicable
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
15. Lifelong Learning
Paula Ham (Head of Strategic Planning and Performance)
Sian Davies (Managing Director)
Jennifer Hill (Chief Learning and Skills Officer)
Tim Cousins (Information Manager, Lawyer)
Jennifer Hill, Chief Learning and Skills Officer