Agenda Item No. 5
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (LIFELONG LEARNING): 18 JULY 2013
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 17 JUNE 2013
C1369 YOUTH SUPPORT SERVICES STRATEGY (CS) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – LIFELONG LEARNING) –
Approval was sought to agree the Youth Support Services Strategy and action plan that was attached as appendix A to the report.
The Local Authority had a duty to provide youth support services and participate in the provision of services with other bodies and persons, or commission the provision of services through other bodies. Youth Support Services encompassed all organisations that provided a service to young people aged 11-25.
The Children’s and Young People’s Partnership (CYPP) was the lead partnership body that strategically guided and brought together a broad range of youth support services from all sectors including council services, educational providers, health services and voluntary sector providers.
The report outlined that the Youth Support Services strategy would :
· Demonstrate a cohesive multi-agency approach to the development and performance management of youth support services for young people.
· Improve co-ordination and allocation of resources avoiding duplication of effort.
· Increase opportunities to access and share data and information.
· Identify, prioritise and meet the needs of young people in the most efficient and effective way.
· Measure the impact of work with young people in the Vale of Glamorgan.
At the meeting the Cabinet Member for the Environment and Visible Services commented that under the Sustainable and Climate Change section of the report, it should include that young people were encouraged through the Youth Support Services Strategy to learn and value the environment and biodiversity.
This was a matter for Executive decision
(1) T H A T the proposed Youth Support Services Strategy 2013-2017 and action plan attached as Appendix A to the report be approved.
(2) T H A T the report be referred to Scrutiny Committee (Lifelong Learning) for information.
Reasons for decisions
(1) The strategy identified priorities for Youth Support Services across the Vale and necessary actions to ensure outcomes are met.
(2) For information.
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet – 17 JUNE 2013