Agenda Item No. 5
Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Lifelong Learning): 9th September 2013
Report of the Managing Director
Improvement Plan 2013/14
Purpose of the Report
1. To present the draft Improvement Plan 2013/14 which contains performance and improvement information for improvement objectives agreed in April 2012.
That the Committee endorses the Improvement Plan for 2013/14.
Reason for the Recommendation
To ensure that actions are taken to improve the performance of the council.
2. The Council's Part 1 Improvement Plan for 2012/13 was agreed by Cabinet on 18 April 2012; this is required by the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009. The Part 1 Plan is forward looking, and set improvement objectives for 2012/13.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The Part 2 Improvement Plan (attached at appendix A) is a document primarily looking back over 2012/13. It contains key performance measures along with and targets and actions for 2012/13. Where available, it contains Welsh average performance for benchmarking purposes.
4. The performance information will be used by the Wales Audit Office to assess the council’s capacity to improve, and therefore is of critical importance to the reputation of the council.
5. The Plan is substantially complete, although further minor amendments will be required following additional information being provided by chief officers, changes to performance information provided by the Local Government Data Unit and from proofreading. This information will need to be included prior to the final draft being presented to Cabinet.
6. The Lifelong Learning Committee will primarily be interested in objective 6.
7. Objective 6: To increase attendance at secondary schools to achieve the Welsh top quartile performance of 2011/12.
8. Overall, attendance at secondary schools in the Vale is an improving picture, although the target of being in the top quartile hasn’t been achieved.
9. In 2011/2 attendance improved by 1.44% to 92.81% in secondary schools. This placed the Vale 7th in rank order in the 2nd quartile of performance when compared with Welsh councils. To be in the top quartile, the Vale needs to be ranked 5th or higher.
10. In order to continue to improve performance, a monthly Attendance Forum has been established which monitors individual schools attendance targets. Schools identified as having lower attendance rates and/or higher levels of unauthorised absence have been targeted for intervention. The attendance of vulnerable pupils including those who are looked after or at risk of offending are carefully monitored.
11. For more information on objective 6, turn to page 26 of the plan.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
12. The production of the Improvement Plan is a major annual project that involves a considerable amount of time from officers. The cost of producing the plan and publishing a bilingual summary in October is met through existing budgets.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
13. Sustainability issues have been taken into account as part of the process for selecting the improvement objectives.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
14. The Improvement Plan is a statutory duty under the Local Government (Wales) Measure 2009, along with a duty to continually improve.
Crime and Disorder Implications
15. None as a result of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
16. The summary document provides members of the public with an opportunity to become aware of the Council’s performance and will be produced bilingually.
17. The plan provides information on the improvement objectives agreed by the council.
Policy Framework and Budget
18. The Improvement Plan forms a part of the Policy Framework and is required to be agreed by Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
19. Elected Members and Corporate Management Team were involved in the selection of improvement objectives for 2012/13.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
20. Lifelong Learning
Reforming the Wales Programme for Improvement - Guidance to Local Authorities 2010
Corporate Plan 2010/2014
Vale of Glamorgan Community Strategy 2011 - 2021
Beverly Noon 01446 709746
All relevant officers have been consulted on the contents of this report:
Corporate Management Team
Sian Davies, Managing Director