Agenda Item No. 6
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (LIFELONG LEARNING): 14 OCTOBER 2013
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 9 SEPTEMBER 2013
C2014 RESPONSE TO THE WELSH GOVERNMENT'S PROPOSALS FOR THE FUTURE DELIVERY OF EDUCATION SERVICES IN WALES (CS) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEE – LIFELONG LEARNING) –
Members were provided with an overview of the key themes contained in Robert Hill's report 'The future delivery of education services in Wales' and to agree the Council's response to the Welsh Government's consultation on the report.
Cabinet received a report at their meeting on 3 December 2012 providing information about the planned review of the delivery of education services including the text of the ministerial 2012 announcement. At that time the detailed scope of the review was not confirmed but it was evident that it had the potential to alter radically the Council's responsibilities for education and impact on the governance of schools, the Council's role as an employer and landlord, the services provided by the Council and budget and financial management. The report also included the WLGA's response to the statement.
At the meeting on 4 February, Cabinet received further information about the review including the appointment of Robert Hill and the aims, principles, process and outcome objectives and outputs of the review.
The Robert Hills report sought to improve classroom teaching and learning by a system-wide set of changes including changes to classroom practice, school leadership and organisation, and changes to the arrangements for providing school improvement services.
The chapter relating to the organisation of school improvement functions included references to the current wider review of the delivery of public services a definitive set of proposals about the organisation of the local authority's role in relation to education services would be linked to the wider review.
The Executive summary of the report was attached as Appendix A, and the draft response to the consultation was attached as Appendix B to the report.
This was a matter for Executive decision.
(1) T H A T the executive summary of Robert Hill's report be noted.
(2) T H A T the draft response to the Welsh Government’s Consultation be agreed and that the urgency procedure be used in order to meet the deadline for submission of 13 September, 2013, subject to the approval from the Chairman of the Scrutiny Committee (Lifelong Learning).
(3) T H A T the report be referred to Scrutiny Committee (Lifelong Learning) for information.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To note the contents of the Robert Hill’s report.
(2) To agree the Councils response to the Welsh Government and ensure the submission by the Welsh Government deadline.
(3) To inform the Scrutiny Committee (Lifelong Learning) of the Councils response.
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet – 9 SEPTEMBER 2013