Agenda Item No. 4
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (LIFELONG LEARNING): 11 NOVEMBER 2013
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 21 OCTOBER 2013
C2051 ESTYN REPORT ON THE QUALITY OF LOCAL AUTHORITY EDUCATION SERVICES FOR CHILDREN AND YOUNG PEOPLE (CS) (SCRUTINY – LIFELONG LEARNING) –
Members were advised as to the process and timetable to prepare the Post Inspection Action Plan [PIAP].
The Estyn report on the quality of local authority education services for children and young people [LAESCYP] took place between 20-24 May.
The inspectors considered a wide range of evidence including data, documents and interviews. The inspectors overall judgement was 'adequate'; capacity to improve was also judged to be 'adequate'. The report attached at Appendix 1 was published on 17 September and was circulated to all councillors.
The report included the following six recommendations:
R1 Raise standards in schools, particularly in key stage 2 and key stage 3.
R2 Improve the rigour and the level of challenge provided to schools about their performance and quality of leadership
R3 Use the full powers available to the authority to improve schools that are underperforming.
R4 Make sure that planning for improvement is thorough and consistent throughout all services.
R5 Ensure that robust systems were in place for evaluating the outcomes of initiatives and that they demonstrate good value-for-money.
R6 Strengthen arrangements for monitoring and evaluating the wellbeing of children and young people.
A Post Inspection Action Plan was currently being prepared to address the recommendations outlined in the report, and a timetable attached at Appendix 2 to the report provided information about the groups that would be involved in the preparation and the planned timescale.
This was a matter for Executive decision.
(1) T H A T the publication on 17 September, 2013 of the Estyn report on the quality of Local Authority Education Services for Children and Young People [LAESCYP] be noted.
(2) T H A T the planned process and timetable for the preparation of the Post Inspection Action Plan [PIAP] be noted.
(3) T H A T the report be referred to Scrutiny Committee (Lifelong Learning) for information.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To note the publication of the recent Estyn report.
(2) To note the planned process and timetable for the preparation of the Post Inspection Action Plan [PIAP].
(3) To apprise the Scrutiny Committee (Lifelong Learning) of the Estyn Inspection report and action plan.
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet – 21 OCTOBER 2013