Agenda Item No. 5
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Lifelong Learning): 7th April 2014
Report of the Chief Learning and Skills Officer
Purpose of the Report
1. To update Members on work undertaken to improve arrangements for safeguarding children and young people
1. That Members note the work undertaken and request a further report in 6 months time.
Reason for the Recommendation
1. To ensure that the Council and its schools continue to adopt good safeguarding practice in their procedure and policy.
2. The report of the Cabinet Member for Children's Services in his report of 10th March 2014 set out the work that has been undertaken to improve arrangements for safeguarding. (Appendix 1).
3. The report itemised various aspects of the work namely; the setting up of the Corporate Safeguarding Steering Group and progress through its Action Plan, implementation of new Policies for schools and corporate HR policies such as the Safer Recruitment Policy.
4. The report also sets out how the Council monitors policy implementation through scheduled work in HR, through the Internal Audit work programme and through the Safeguarding Monitoring Matrix approach adopted in the Learning and Skills Directorate.
5. The report outlines the results of a recent Recruitment Audit and further explains recent changes to the DBS arrangements.
6. A summary of Professional Abuse/Part 4 referrals is also considered in the report.
Relevant Issues and Options
7. The action plan addresses the relevant issues and is appended under Appendix 1.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
8. As stated in the Cabinet Report.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
9. As stated in the Cabinet Report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
10. As stated in the Cabinet Report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
11. As stated in the Cabinet Report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
12. As stated in the Cabinet Report.
13. As stated in the Cabinet Report.
Policy Framework and Budget
14. As stated in the Cabinet Report.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
15. As stated in the Cabinet Report.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
16. Lifelong Learning
All Wales Child Protection Procedures
Lynette Jones, Head of School Improvement and Inclusion
David Davies, Lead Officer for Inclusion
Jenny Smith, Safeguarding Officer
Jennifer Hill, Chief Learning and Skills Officer