Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Social Care and Health): 19th September 2011
Report of the Director for Social Services
Revenue and Capital Monitoring for the period 1st April 2011 to 31st July 2011
Purpose of the Report
1. To bring to the attention of this Scrutiny Committee, the position in respect of revenue and capital expenditure for the period 1st April 2011 to 31st July 2011 regarding those revenue and capital budgets, which form this Committee’s remit.
1. It is recommended that the Scrutiny Committee note the position with regard to the 2011/12 revenue and capital monitoring.
Reason for the Recommendation
1. That Members are aware of the position with regard to the 2011/12 revenue and capital monitoring relevant to this Scrutiny Committee.
2. Council on the 28th February 2011 (minute nos. 956 and 957 respectively) approved the Capital and Revenue Budget for 2011/12. Reports monitoring expenditure are brought to this Committee on a regular basis.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The Revenue Budget and projected outturn for 2011/2012 are shown at Appendix 1.
4. Children and Young People's Services - It is currently projected that this budget could overspend by £765,000 by year end. This is due to the Children's Placement budget being projected to overspend by £1m, offset by the use of a provision of £210,000. This budget is under considerable pressure due to a large number of high cost placements. All cases will be reviewed to try to improve this position.
5. Adult Services - It is currently projected that this budget could overspend by £189,000 by year end. A gross overspending of £654,000 has arisen from the need to increase fees payable to care homes by over the 2% inflation included in the 2011/12 budget, the continuing pressure on the budget for Community Care packages and the need to achieve the 2011/12 savings targets. The gross overspend can be partly funded by a specific provision of £465,000.
6. The overall year end position for the Directorate is an overspend of £954,000. The Directorate will take the necessary remedial measures in order to fund this shortfall from within the existing budgets. This is particularly compelling as the use of provisions is a one-off source of funding and it is not a long-term solution. Progress will be reported to future meetings of this Committee.
Capital Programme 2011/2012
7. Appendix 2 details financial progress on the Capital Programme as at 31st July 2011.
8. Community Equipment Grant - Grant funding in the sum of £135,809 has been brought forward from previous years on this joint scheme with Cardiff County Council. The scheme, to establish and run a joint community equipment store, based in Cardiff, is administered by Cardiff Council who take the lead on progressing the works carried out. The Vale is requested to reimburse a share of the costs. This in turn is funded wholly by WG grant. In addition to the carry forward, a further £200,000 is offered for 2011/12 and it has been requested that the whole £335,809 is now included in the 2011/12 Capital Programme, in order to reimburse Cardiff Council, when required, for works carried out this financial year.
9. Appendix 3 provides non-financial information on capital schemes.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
10. As detailed in the body of the report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
Crime and Disorder Implications
12. There are no crime and disorder implications.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
13. Good budget monitoring information assists managers in ensuring that available funds are target at those in greatest need.
14. Effective monitoring assists in the provision of accurate and timely information to officers and Members and in particular allows services to better manage their resources.
Policy Framework and Budget
15. Report is in accordance with the Policy Framework and Budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
16. The appropriate Chief Officer has been consulted. This report does not require Ward Member consultation.
Carolyn Michael (Senior Group Accountant) (01446 709778)
Director of Social Services.
Phil Evans, Director of Social Services