Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Social Care and Health): 18th June 2012
Report of the Director of Social Services
Revenue and Capital Monitoring for the period 1st April 2012 to 30th April 2012
Purpose of the Report
1. To bring to the attention of this Scrutiny Committee, the position in respect of revenue and capital expenditure for the period 1st April 2012 to 30th April 2012 regarding those revenue and capital budgets, which form this Committee’s remit.
1. It is recommended that the Scrutiny Committee note the position with regard to the 2012/13 revenue and capital monitoring.
Reasons for the Recommendations
1. That members are aware of the position with regard to the 2012/13 revenue and capital monitoring relevant to this scrutiny committee.
2. Council on the 7th March 2012 (minute no 951 and 950 respectively) approved the Revenue and Capital Budgets for 2012/13. Reports monitoring expenditure are brought to this committee on a regular basis.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The Revenue Budget and projected outturn for 2012/2013 are shown in Appendix 1.
4. As it is very early in the financial year, the current forecast for Social Services is a balanced budget. In addition to increased demand for services, there is pressure on the Directorate to achieve its savings target for 2012/13.
5. Children and Young People's Services - There continues to be considerable pressure on the Children’s placements budget. Any increase in the number of children becoming looked after by the Council over the year could significantly impact on the service.
6. Adult Services - There is continuing pressure on the Community Care Packages budget. This budget is extremely volatile and can be adversely affected by outside influences such as last years introduction of the First Steps Initiative by the Welsh Government which capped charging for non residential services to £50 per week. It was previously reported that the impact of the £50 cap was approximately £650k. Since that date there has been continuous growth in the number of clients, consequently the estimated full year impact is now £1.4m. There is potential this could rise further. The budget is based on Welsh Government funding these increased costs and discussions are continuing on this issue.
7. The Social Services Directorate is committed to achieving a balanced budget in 2012/13. The Social Services Budget Programme Plan has been updated to demonstrate the steps to be undertaken to attain the savings targets set for the Directorate. The multi disciplinary project team and project board which has been set up to oversee the plan, will further develop it and oversee and facilitate its delivery.
8. Appendix 2 details financial progress on the Capital Programme as at 30th April 2012.
9. The monitoring report shows actual expenditure spent for the month of April 2012 and is matched by a similar figure in the profile to date column, thereby showing no variances.
10. Members should be aware that Appendix 2 does not include requests for unspent committed expenditure to be slipped from 2011/12 into 2012/13. A request for this slippage will be included in the Closing Down report presented to a future Cabinet and Committee meeting. The request will also be referred to Council for approval.
11. For all schemes where it is evident that the full year's budget will not be spent during the year, the relevant officers are required to provide an explanation for the shortfall.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
12. As detailed in the body of the report
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
13. There are no legal implications
Crime and Disorder Implications
14. There are no crime and disorder implications
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
15. There are no equal opportunity implications
16. Effective monitoring assists in the provision of accurate and timely information to officers and members and in particular allows services to better manage their resources
Policy Framework and Budget
17. The report is in accordance with the Policy Framework and Budget
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
18. The appropriate Chief Officer has been consulted. This report does not require Ward Member consultation.
Carolyn Michael (Senior Group Accountant) (01446 709778)
Director for Social Services
Phil Evans Director for Social Services