Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Social Care and Health): 16th July 2012
Report of the Director of Social Services
Revenue and Capital Monitoring for the period 1st April 2012 to 31st May 2012
Purpose of the Report
1. To bring to the attention of this Scrutiny Committee, the position in respect of revenue and capital expenditure for the period 1st April 2012 to 31st May 2012 regarding those revenue and capital budgets, which form this Committee’s remit.
1. It is recommended that the Scrutiny Committee note the position with regard to the 2012/13 revenue and capital monitoring.
Reason for the Recommendation
1. That Members are aware of the position with regard to the 2012/13 revenue and capital monitoring relevant to this Scrutiny Committee.
2. Council on the 7th March 2012 (minute nos. 951 and 950 respectively) approved the Revenue and Capital Budgets for 2012/13. Reports monitoring expenditure are brought to this committee on a regular basis.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. The Revenue Budget and projected outturn for 2012/2013 are shown in Appendix 1.
4. It still remains early in the financial year and the current forecast for Social Services is a balanced budget.
5. Children and Young People's Services - There continues to be pressure on the Children’s placements budget. Any increase in the number of children becoming looked after by the Council over the year could significantly impact on the service.
6. Adult Services - There is continuing pressure on the Community Care Packages budget. This budget is extremely volatile and can be adversely affected by outside influences such as last year's introduction of the First Steps Initiative by the Welsh Government which capped charging for non residential services to £50 per week. It has previously been reported that the impact of the £50 cap was approximately £1.4m. The impact will continue to be monitored as the year progresses and discussions will continue with the Welsh Government regarding the issue. Another issue to affect the year end position will be the 2012/13 fee we set in respect of personal care costs for residents placed by the Council in residential and nursing homes provided by the independent sector. Currently, 2% is included in the budget.
7. The Social Services Directorate is committed to achieving a balanced budget in 2012/13. A report updating progress on the Social Services Budget Programme was presented to Cabinet on 11th June 2012 and deferred for further consideration. The corporate programme board and project teams overseeing the plan will continue to develop it further and ensure delivery.
8. Appendix 2 details financial progress on the Capital Programme as at 31st May 2012.
9. Profiled expenditure has been requested from all Project Managers, though not all have at this time been received. All data received is included in Appendix 2.
10. Members should be aware that Appendix 2 does not include requests for unspent committed expenditure to be slipped from 2011/12 into 2012/13. A request for this slippage will be included in the Closing Down report presented to a future Cabinet and Committee meeting. The request will also be referred to Council for approval.
11. For all schemes where it is evident that the full year's budget will not be spent during the year, the relevant officers are required to provide an explanation for the shortfall.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment and Climate Change, if appropriate)
12. As detailed in the body of the report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
13. There are no legal implications.
Crime and Disorder Implications
14. There are no crime and disorder implications.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
15. There are no equal opportunity implications.
16. Effective monitoring assists in the provision of accurate and timely information to officers and Members and in particular allows services to better manage their resources.
Policy Framework and Budget
17. The report is in accordance with the Policy Framework and Budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
18. The appropriate Chief Officer has been consulted. This report does not require Ward Member consultation.
Carolyn Michael (Senior Group Accountant) (01446 709778)
Director for Social Services
Phil Evans, Director of Social Services