Agenda Item No. 10
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Scrutiny Committee (Social Care and Health): 16th, June 2014
Report of the Director of Resources
Scrutiny Committee Work Programme
Purpose of the Report
1. To confirm the work programme of the Scrutiny Committee of 2014/15 for publication.
That the work programme as set out at Appendix 1 be endorsed for publication.
Reason for the Recommendation
To confirm the Committee's work programme of 2014/15.
2. The Council's Constitution provides that Scrutiny Committees determine their work programme for each financial year. The work programme also informs the Annual Report which is presented to all Scrutiny Committees for approval in July and subsequently reported to Full Council.
3. Relevant Issues and Options The work programme contains a list of reports that are scheduled for submission to future meetings of the Scrutiny Committee. The work programme includes financial monitoring reports, performance monitoring reports, pre-Cabinet decision scrutiny reports as identified within the Cabinet Forward Work Programme, together with reports requested by the Scrutiny Committee itself. The programme for the relevant Scrutiny Committee is attached at Appendix 1.
4. All Scrutiny Committee work programmes are publicised on the Council's website in order to advise Members and the public of future items that will be under discussion. The Local Government (Wales) Measure 2011 also requires that the forward plans of Scrutiny Committees should be made available in advance of the exercise of functions. In order to meet the requirements of the Measure and the principles of delivering wider public / partner engagement and greater Member involvement in the embryonic stages of work programme development, consideration will need to be given to developing an appropriate engagement / communication strategy that addresses these issues. The development of future forward work programmes will need to demonstrate and evidence effective arrangements that will allow the shaping of work programmes on the basis of greater inclusion.
5. Members are reminded that on a quarterly basis decision tracking of the Committee's recommendations are reported for consideration and / or amendment and, where appropriate, determined as completed, with any changes automatically incorporated into the work programme and updated on the website. It is important to note that the work programme as proposed contains items for consideration which may be subject to change depending upon prevailing circumstances, any recommendations made by the Scrutiny Committee, requests for consideration of a matter received and any call-ins of Cabinet decisions.
6. Members are asked to consider the content of the work programme and make any alterations or additions as necessary in light of current commitments.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
7. There are no direct financial implications arising from the report itself.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
8. None as a direct result of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
9. There are no legal implications as a direct result of this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
10. There are no crime and disorder implications as a direct result of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
11. None as a direct result of this report.
12. "To work with partners to promote good governance and ensure a co-ordinated approach to delivering the shared vision for the future of the Vale."
13. The preparation and Member agreement of the contents of Scrutiny Committee work programme contributes to a positive impact upon the Council and its services, contributes to the value of corporate objectives and ensures that work can be undertaken in a timely and well planned manner.
Policy Framework and Budget
14. The Scrutiny Committees' work programmes fall within the Policy Framework and Budget and in accordance with the Council's Constitution. They also form part of the Annual Scrutiny Report which, under Article 6 of the Council's Constitution, is presented to Full Council.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
15. Consultation has been undertaken with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Scrutiny Committee and officers within the Authority.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Cabinet Forward Work Programme
Scrutiny Committees' Annual Report
Gareth Davies, Scrutiny Support Officer, Tel: (01446) 709249
Director of Resources
Director of Development Services
Director of Social Services
Head of Democratic Services
Siân Davies, Director of Resources