Agenda Item No. 7
THE VALE OF GLAMORGAN COUNCIL
SCRUTINY COMMITTEE (SOCIAL CARE AND HEALTH): 2 FEBRUARY 2015
REFERENCE FROM CABINET: 15 DECEMBER 2014
C2586 DISABLED FACILITIES GRANTS PERFORMANCE REPORT FOR QUARTER 1 AND 2 2014-15 (HBMCS) (SCRUTINY COMMITTEES – SOCIAL CARE AND HEALTH AND HOUSING AND PUBLIC PROTECTION AND CORPORATE RESOURCES) –
Cabinet was apprised on the Council's performance in delivering Disabled Facilities Grants during the first 2 quarters of 2014-15 and progress made on process changes.
The Council had a statutory duty to consider and approve applications for Disabled Facilities Grants (DFG) where there was an identified need and the property could be reasonably adapted. Disabled Facilities Grants funded the adaptation of privately owned homes to allow residents to live as independently as possible in their own home for as long as possible.
The delivery time of Disabled Facilities Grant was a national performance indicator. The Council had previously acknowledged its performance in delivering Disabled Facilities Grants had to be improved. Despite this improvement in 2013/14, the Council remained in the bottom quartile of performance for local authorities in Wales.
Performance of the DFG Service continued to improve during quarter 1 and 2 2014-15. During this period, the average time to deliver a DFG had reduced to 217 days. This improvement was due to the changes made to the service during December 2013 and January 2014.
This was a matter for Executive decision
(1) T H A T the report on performance for delivering Disabled Facilities Grant during quarters 1 and 2 of 2014-15 be noted.
(2) T H A T the progress made on process changes to improve the delivery of Disabled Facilities Grants be noted.
(3) T H A T the report be referred to the Scrutiny Committees (Housing and Public Protection and Social Care and Health) for consideration.
(4) T H A T the Director of Development Services write to Welsh Government to make representations regarding the potential for discrepancies when compiling the data for this national performance indicator and requesting that guidance be issued to ensure consistency across Wales.
Reasons for decisions
(1) To note the contents of the report.
(2) To note the progress made to improve the Council's delivery of Disabled Facilities Grants.
(3) In order for the Scrutiny Committees (Housing and Public Protection and Social Care and Health) to review the performance of the service.
(4) To clarify how Disabled Facilities Grant performance indicators were calculated.
Attached as Appendix – Report to Cabinet – 15 DECEMBER 2014