Agenda Item No 6
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Standards Committee: 4th September, 2012
Report of the Monitoring Officer
Applications for Dispensation
Purpose of the Report
1. To consider applications to speak / speak and vote received from:
Councillor J.C. Bird - To speak and vote on the (Draft) Local Development Plan in the ward of Wenvoe in view of his having a candidate site proposed in the Local Development Plan, located in Barry.
Councillor G.A. Cox - To speak and vote on matters involving the (Draft) Local Development Plan in view of his position as Clerk to the Trustees of the Evan Jenkins Charity who had made a candidate site application.
Councillor S.C. Egan - To speak and vote when considering the business of the Cardiff and Vale University Health Board regarding Joint Planning, Policy Development and Strategy, and the efficient delivery of services but not matters relating directly to the Board in view of his being an employee and also independent member of the Cardiff and Vale University Health Board.
Llantwit Major Town Councillor J.W. Evans - To speak only on matters concerning Llantwit Major RFC in view of his being a Trustee.
Councillor K.J. Geary - To speak and vote (as both a Vale of Glamorgan Councillor and Llantwit Major Town Councillor) on matters concerning Aberthaw Power Station in view of his being a Member of NPower Liaison Committee (appointed to this position by Llantwit Major Town Council).
Councillor K.J. Geary - To speak and vote on matters concerning public houses in Llantwit Major in view of his being a member of Pubwatch.
Llantwit Major Town Councillor K.J. Geary - To speak and vote on matters concerning allotments in Llantwit Major in view of Mrs. Geary being an allotment holder.
Councillor K.J. Geary - To speak and vote on matters concerning Barry Amateur Radio Society in view of his being a committee member of the Society.
Llantwit Major Town Councillor E. Hacker - To speak and vote on matters concerning:
- Llantwit Major Bowls Club
- Llantwit Major Horticultural Society
- Llantwit Major Comprehensive School
in view of his being a member of both the Bowls Club and Horticultural Society, and a Local Authority
appointed Governor of the School.
- Arts and Regeneration Agency
- Arts Council of Wales, South Wales Regional Committee
- Best Kept Village
- Cardiff Airport Consultative Committee
- Coychurch Crematorium Joint Committee
- Flat Holm Consultative Group
- Glamorgan Archives Joint Committee
- Local Government Association
- South East Wales Economic Forum
- Sportlot Community Chest
- Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education (SACRE)
- St. Donats Arts Centre
- Vale of Glamorgan Best Kept Village Competition
- Vale of Glamorgan Festival
in view of his appointment to the above by the Vale of Glamorgan Cabinet.
Councillor G. John - To speak only on matters relating to Llantwit Major AFC, Llantwit Major Junior Football Club and Llantwit Major Cavaliers Cricket Club in view of his being a Life Member, President and Vice President respectively of the above-mentioned clubs.
Councillor G. John - To speak only on all matters concerning Llantwit Major Town Council in view of his being a Member of Llantwit Major Town Council.
Councillor P.G. King - To speak and vote on general aspects of highway safety in relation to powered 2-wheel users in view of his:
- being a motorcyclist
- being a member of two national clubs: BSA Owners Club and Vintage Motorcycle Club
- being a member of Motorcycle Action Group, a national lobbying organisation promoting the interests of
Llantwit Major Town Councillor M.A. Mason - To speak only on matters concerning Llantwit Major Bowling Club in view of his chairmanship of Llantwit Major Bowling Club.
Councillor R.L. Traherne - To speak only on discussions that may take place at meetings of the Economy and Environment Scrutiny Committee regarding the Local Development Plan in view of Councillor and Mrs. Traherne's interest in parcels of land allocated for housing in the (Draft) Local Development Plan.
Councillor M.R. Wilson - To speak only on matters relating to Cardiff and Vale College in view of his being the UCU Chair of Cardiff and Vale College (Cardiff Branch).
That the Standards Committee consider the applications received to speak / speak and vote on the matters set out in the completed proformas attached.
Reason for the Recommendation
To comply with National Assembly regulations on applications for the grant of dispensations to speak / speak and vote.
2. The Standards Committee (Grant of Dispensations) (Wales) Regulations 2001 permits Members to apply to the Standards Committee to speak and, if appropriate, vote on issues which, due to a prejudicial interest, they may not otherwise be able to speak or vote or remain in the room.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. In order to deal with the applications as quickly as possible it is necessary for the Standards Committee to receive full information of the interests involved and why in the Member's opinion dispensation should be given. Copies of the relevant applications are attached.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
6. The Council is required to comply with the Standards Committee (Grant of Dispensations) (Wales) Regulations 2001.
Crime and Disorder Implications
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
Policy Framework and Budget
10. This report does not affect the Council's Policy and Budget Framework.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
11. The report does not involve any consultation with other parties.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
The Standards Committee (Grant of Dispensations) (Wales) Regulations 2001.
Mr. C. Hope, Tel: (01446) 709855, e-mail: email@example.com
Ms. D. Marles, Monitoring Officer.