Matter which the Chairman has decided is urgent by reason of the need to consider requests for dispensation to speak / speak and vote prior to the next meeting of the Committee.
Agenda Item No. 7(i)
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Standards Committee: 4th September 2012
Report of the Monitoring Officer
Applications for Dispensation
Purpose of the Report
1. To consider applications to speak / speak and vote received from:
· Councillor S.T. Wiliam - to speak and vote on matters concerning Barry Island Primary School and Ysgol Bro Morganwg in view of his being a Governor of the Schools. Also, to speak and vote on matters concerning Ysgol Sant Curig and Bro Morganwg in view of his children attending the schools.
· Councillor R. Bertin - to speak and vote on matters concerning Jenner Park Primary School in view of his being a Governor of the School.
· Councillor R. Bertin - to speak and vote on matters concerning the Gibbonsdown Community Centre Management Board in view of his Chairmanship of the Board.
· Councillor R. Bertin - to speak only on matters relating to private rented accommodation in view of him being the owner of a private rented property.
· Councillor R. Bertin - to speak only on matters concerning Cardiff City Transport in view of his occupation as a full time employee of that organisation.
That the Standards Committee consider the applications received to speak / speak and vote on the matters set out in the completed proformas attached.
Reason for the Recommendation
To comply with National Assembly regulations on applications for the grant of dispensations to speak / speak and vote.
2. The Standards Committee (Grant of Dispensations) (Wales) Regulations 2001 permits Members to apply to the Standards Committee to speak and, if appropriate, vote on issues which, due to a prejudicial interest, they may not otherwise be able to speak or vote or remain in the room.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. In order to deal with the applications as quickly as possible it is necessary for the Standards Committee to receive full information of the interests involved and why in the Member's opinion dispensation should be given. Copies of the relevant applications are attached.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
6. The Council is required to comply with the Standards Committee (Grant of Dispensations) (Wales) Regulations 2001.
Crime and Disorder Implications
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
Policy Framework and Budget
10. This report does not affect the Council's Policy and Budget Framework.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
11. The report does not involve any consultation with other parties.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
The Standards Committee (Grant of Dispensations) (Wales) Regulations 2001.
Mr. C. Hope, Tel: (01446) 709855, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. D. Marles, Monitoring Officer