Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Standards Committee: 12th November, 2012
Report of the Monitoring Officer
Code of Conduct Training for Councillors Post 2012 Elections
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise Members of the Committee of training that has been offered to all Members of the Vale of Glamorgan Council and all Town and Community Councils following the elections in May of this year.
That the contents of the report be noted.
Reason for the Recommendation
To inform Members of the Standards Committee.
2. The Terms of Reference of the Standards Committee include,
'(5) To advise, train or arrange to train Councillors, Co-opted Members and Church and Parent Governors representatives on matters relating to the Members' Code of Conduct'.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. Following the local government elections in May 2012, training on Code of Conduct matters was provided to the newly-elected Vale of Glamorgan Councillors on the 15th and 17th May, 2012.
4. The training sessions were conducted by Mr. Peter Evans, the then Monitoring Officer.
5. A total of 33 Vale of Glamorgan Councillors attended the training sessions.
6. Training for Members of the Town and Community Councils within the Vale of Glamorgan has been delivered by the organisation One Voice Wales, 'the Voice of Community and Town Councils in Wales' and the cost met by the Vale of Glamorgan Council.
7. The training sessions have been arranged over the period 20th October to 14th November, 2012 with a total of some 66 individuals having attended or stating that they will attend.
8. Whilst 8 of the 26 Town and Community Councils have not been represented, it should be pointed out that training has been provided separately to Town and Community Councils immediately following the elections in May 2012 by One Voice Wales and I have no information on which Town and Community Councils were represented.
9. Following the first training session, an e-mail was received from Mr. Paul Egan of One Voice Wales indicating that 'the first of the Code of Conduct sessions went extremely well and the feed back was exceptionally good'. Feedback on the sessions will be provided to the Standards Committee following the conclusion of the sessions.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
10. The cost to the Vale of Glamorgan Council is £350 per session.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
11. None as a direct result of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
12. There are no legal implications as a direct result of this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
13. There are no crime and disorder implications as a direct result of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
14. None as a direct result of this report.
Policy Framework and Budget
16. This report does not affect the Council's Policy Framework and Budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
17. The report does not involve any consultation with other parties.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Mr. C. Hope, (tel: 01446 709855), e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. D. Marles