Agenda Item No
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Standards Committee: 12th November, 2012
Report of the Monitoring Officer
Standards Conference Wales 2013
Purpose of the Report
1. To advise Members of the Committee that the Standards Conference Wales 2013 will be held in Llandudno on Friday, 19th April, 2013.
That the Chairman of the Standards Committee be authorised to determine the Council's representation at the Conference.
Reason for the Recommendation
To enable the Council to be represented at the Conference.
2. The Council has been advised that the Standards Conference Wales 2013 will be held in Llandudno on Friday, 19th April, 2013.
3. Full details of the Conference have not yet been received, but it is known that the theme of the Conference will be "The Balance Between Rights and Responsibilities". The Public Services Ombudsman for Wales, Mr. Peter Tyndall, will be addressing the conference and there will be a number of workshops which will cover local dispute resolution, mediation, conducting hearings and dispensations.
4. Whilst the programme for the Conference has yet to be finalised, I attach by way of illustration, a copy of the Standards Conference Wales 2011 programme.
Relevant Issues and Options
5. The Conference will provide an opportunity to hear directly from senior officials involved in the adjudication of the Code of Conduct cases and to question them on matters of concern, but also to enable delegates to debate current issues regarding the Code of Conduct.
6. The Conference will also enable the delegates to meet and discuss matters relating to the Code with delegates from other Authorities and, through this facility, to identify and benefit from good practice arising throughout Wales.
7. As the full details of the Conference are still awaited, it is proposed that the Chairman of the Standards Committee be authorised to determine the Vale of Glamorgan Council's representation, if any, when the full details are known.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
8. The cost per delegate of attending the Conference has not been announced yet. Travelling and accommodation expenses will be determined in line with the Council's relevant policy and procedure.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
9. None as a direct result of this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
10. There are no legal implications as a direct result of this report.
Crime and Disorder Implications
11. There are no crime and disorder implications as a direct result of this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
12. None as a direct result of this report.
Policy Framework and Budget
14. This report does not affect the Council's Policy Framework and Budget.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
15. The report does not involve any consultation with other parties.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Mr. C. Hope, tel: (01446) 709855, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. D. Marles, Monitoring Officer