Agenda Item No 9
The Vale of Glamorgan Council
Standards Committee : 11 April 2014
Report of the Monitoring Officer
Purpose of the Report
1. To inform Standards Committee of relevant audit work to be undertaken as part of the Internal Audit Plan for 2014/15.
1. THAT Standards Committee note the report.
2. THAT the outcome of the Audits be reported to a future meeting of the Standards Committee.
Reason for the Recommendations
1&2 To keep Committee apprised of the intended audits and in due course their outcomes.
2. The Internal Audit Department consult senior officers annually regarding suggestions for internal audits to be undertaken as part of the Internal Audit Plan.
Relevant Issues and Options
3. Audit briefs have been discussed and agreed as detailed at Appendix A and B of this report. [Appendix A] [Appendix B]
4. Committee will note that the objectives of the Audits are:
To ensure compliance to the Council's Constitution/Code of Conduct in relation to the declaration and acceptance of any gift or hospitality by both officers and members.
To ensure members compliance to the Code of Conduct in relation to declarations of interest and dispensations granted/refused by the Standards Committee.
Resource Implications (Financial and Employment)
5. The costs of the Audit will be covered from existing departmental budgets.
Sustainability and Climate Change Implications
6. None directly associated with this report.
Legal Implications (to Include Human Rights Implications)
7. Members are required to comply with their respective Members' Code of Conduct ('the Code'). The declaration of interests, and gifts and hospitality (above the Council's specified threshold) is an integral part of the Code.
Crime and Disorder Implications
8. None directly associated with this report.
Equal Opportunities Implications (to include Welsh Language issues)
9. None directly associated with this report.
10. To promote and maintain high standards of conduct by Councillors which is fundamental as part of the Community Leadership role of the Council and Town and Community Councils.
Policy Framework and Budget
11. This report falls within the Policy Framework and Budget for the Council, and is a matter for decision by the Standards Committee.
Consultation (including Ward Member Consultation)
12. The Chair of the Standards Committee.
Relevant Scrutiny Committee
Debbie Marles - Head of Legal Services
01446 709402 Email: DMarles@valeofglamorgan.gov.uk
Group Auditor, Internal Audit Department - A Sloman
Debbie Marles - Head of Legal Services (and Monitoring Officer)